Scag advantage---mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mag360, Jul 23, 2003.

1. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I just installed the full mulch kit on my 61in tiger and mowed for the first time today. I'm never taking it off!! I plowed through wet/tall/thick grass and it left a nearly perfect finish (without the mess on the sidewalk and driveway that discharging wet grass leaves behind). Todays lawns were cut at 3 3.5 and 4in with good results even at 4in. I think my customers will love it too. The only problem is my 25hp kohler is underpowered so I had to slow down for the thick stuff. All in all though It's even better than I was expecting. I would recommend mulching to anyone with an advantage deck.

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Would like to ask you one question Have you ever had a problem with your Hydo belt on your Turf Tiger. My mower has 190 hours and now the Hydo belt is slipping again this will be the third belt on this mower.

3. mag360

no---sorry. 600hrs and no parts replaced (other than filters)

What engine do you have? I ran a grasshopper with 28hp kubota that was too powerful for the belts and would slip them and wear them down

4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

27hp water cooled Kw.

5. mag360

Thats a whole lot more torque than I have ---it still shouldn't eat belts though. I wish I could help but my drive belts still look pretty new at 600 hrs.

On that grasshopper we just took extra caution not to push it hard going up hills, or starting up quickly. (we also started keeping spares after a while)

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto! I love the mulch kit on my Y/K as much as you do and I can see no sense in taking it off for everyday work. Mine has been off on 2 occasions since I installed it and both of those were for rough cuts.

I for one am glad to see someone else has seen the light! I for one feel that most people are working in the dark ages just side discharging. From day one, when I very first started mulching I liked it. After buying the Y/K and using it a few days side discharge while I was waiting on the kit, I can't imagine why so many people would want to side discharge.

I think the reason so many don't mulch is that 1/2 do not accept change well and the other half think they are saving time with other methods.

Mulching, I mow at a faster pace than collecting, but slightly slower than side discharge. But the time saved on post mow cleanup and aggrivation more than makes up the difference in ground speed. It's so much cleaner and safer. Plus everything looks collected while being more beneficial for the turf.

I can't see where anyone can possibly go wrong with mulching....
    That is unless the deck design you have don't do worth chit ;)

7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Can you post a pic of how it mows?How does it stripe?:confused: