1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Advantage to Toro SFS Comparisons

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.Ziffel, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have experience with either or both of these decks on a ZTR so you can compare them, particularly when cutting wet, heavy growth. How about with a bagger? Go ahead and join in with your [actual] experience with the machines too if you like. The Turf Tiger sure looks to be a sturdier machine than the 255Toro. The choice is between these two because of dealer location, but they won't have them with the Kawasaki LC 27 I want until later. I'll demo them again then. Thanks, Will
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I can't speak for the Scag ZTR with the Advantage deck, but I can speak for the Advantage deck on the WB. I got it on my 52" that I bought at the beginning of the season. It does a nice job on dry grass, but if wet it tends to clog up pretty good. Usually have to scrape out after each lawn. I believe it is due to all the interior baffling. I will say that it cuts tall and wiry grass very well as they claim it does. I myself am considering either the Turf Tiger or Exmark Z for next spring. My mechanic recommended the Z as opposed to the Turf Tiger, but like you I think the TT is a solid machine.
  3. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

have you read the threads on the kohler 25 hp engine, this is the engine in the 255, but im not sure about the scag. There have been a lot of problems with these.
  4. Mr.Ziffel

I'm not touching the Kohler, but thanks for the heads up. As you can see from my original post, I specified the Kawi. Of course every dealer I talk to says they've fixed the Kohler, but why chance it. Kohler has had their opportunity to make it right but they've missed their chance with me.
  5. Mr.Ziffel

Repeat after me, Kawasaki Liquid Cooled 27, NOT 25. Sorry.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mr. Ziffel,

I have demoed a Scag Saber toothed tiger 72" with the 31 Briggs 3 cyl. It is a Very heavy built machine. I didn't like the deck lifting system. I seemed like they way overbuilt them. Adding 1/4" steel gussets where I felt they didn't need them. Like I said, you will not break one. But however, how many frames of ZTR's do you see busted up? I've never heard of frame failure. The deck cut nicely, we were cutting 8+" of field grass down to like 2.5"! Thats not a test of true cutting capability though. I like my 60" Lazer with the 27HP LC Kawi. The thing has lots of power, cuts like a dream and there are no obstructions or bolt heads protruding under the deck. (other than spindles) Makes it real easy to scrape, although I only did this once so far. Aren't there any Exmark dealers around you?

7. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

lol, i thought u meant that u were looking at the 255 with the 25 kohler. my fault, i have run the 22 kawi with a 62" deck and it seemed to have enough power for the deck, it sure was guiet. how do the 22 LC's compare to the 27 for those that have used them?
  8. Mr.Ziffel

Yes, there is an Exmark/Toro dealer near me, BUT I'm not real comfortable with him due to a previous bad experience--he says he'll treat me right this time, BUT the jury is still out...

The reason I'm looking at Toro is because of the experience of those on this board with the SFS deck in wet, heavy growth which is 50% minimum of my cutting [north of Seattle]. I'm open to other opinions/experiences.

I did find a Scag/Toro dealer 75 miles away who seems very straight-forward and upfront and very willing to compare the two head to head. He prefers Scag. Do you think he has a better profit margin on them? The prices are very similar for both machines.

He has told me of more problems with the Toro than any other dealer and anything I've heard on this board.

1] Mule drive belts too loose so they jump off, especially in the wet we have here;

2] Spindle drive pulley too large so doesn't generate enough blade speed (he thinks this has been corrected on new models);

3] Gas tanks collapse;

4] Thin deck;

5] Spindles weak and grease zerks not adequate to take up enough to protect them.

I know there are differences on the Exmark but also similarities, what are your experiences?
  9. crew

crew LawnSite Member

I dont have any experience with Scag stuff, but I have two 60"lazers and several toro wb's. Bought a brand new 52 wb with the sfs deck and am really dissapointed. 10 year old machines with smaller motors are far superior. The sfs deck leaves lines, has outboard scalp wheels that gouge when turning and is generally a drag.
    Exmark was purchased by toro so im suprised your toro guy cant get you an exmark. Its too bad as i cannot imagine a better mower than the lazer z.