scag air flow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwigh1, Apr 8, 2001.

1. dwigh1

dwigh1 LawnSite Member

i have a scag 61" walk behind and since i've owned it, it doesn't discharge good, kind of creates a whirl wind effect right at the discharge. any suggestions what to do? i've changed types of blades ran it with chute up and down no better or worse!!
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Try double blades, that might help. If you have never heard of this, go to my website and read about them and how to install them. Click on my red house below and then the Double Blades link. This might help your air flow problem. Worth a try. :)
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Very common with scags! every scag I have used had done this. They leave a trail of clipping right by the discharge chute! To me it looks like it happens because the deck is poorly designed.... right at the discarge the deck curves in wich cause the grass to get caught and not flow properly!
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I watched 2 guys on 48 WB's mowing a thick industrial property,both had 14 kawi's one was a brand new scag 48 hydro,the other an older ransomes bobcat ,the scag was clumping noticably,the bobcat cut much cleaner at the same speed,and seemed to throw the grass further while the engine labored less.I talked to them as they loaded,sais they scag just doesnt cut good no mater what they do to it.My one commercial account manager told me that my job was far superior to the last contractor-who used a scag Saber tooth tiger-he always left clumps,I never,ever do.Humm,gotta wonder if its the nature of the beast.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Now I wonder how that is supposed to work? I agree with everyone about the discharge, I own an older version and it does the same thing. What I did was put the mulching plate back on and install a second set of blades and now I couldn't be happier, makes a cleaner cut and I can actually see a slight "striping" affect!
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it breaks up the swirling effect at the discharge chute. My Dixie and my Exmark came with "turbo-baffles" from the factory and neither one of them have clumping problems. My Gravely <i>had</i> a terrible clumping problem until I added trianglular shaped gussets to the front of the rear baffles. Problem fixed.

The Scag Turbo Baffle should be cheap enough to buy where even if it doesn't work you still haven't lost much.
  8. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem with both of my 52" scag's. I put double blades on it and put like another one or two blade spacer on the spindle to lower the blades and it works better now. Still not the best cut in the world but it works. One of the mowers used to leave a windrow of grass right next to the deck even in short grass.

My exmarks throw grass like two or three rows.
  9. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Iown an STHM which is thesame as the 61 wb Some things to try, turbo baffle works fairly well, another change the bolts that hold the castor arms from 5/16 hex to 3/8 x 3/4
    carriage bolts with the round head under. check for other
    bolt heads. Ipurchased a baffle kit for the new Husq rider
    looks like it will fit. will let you know.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic