Scag and Bobcat Review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdhardcab, Jun 21, 2008.

1. jdhardcab

jdhardcab LawnSite Member

I found a review of several ZTR's, including two that I am interested in - the Scag Turf Tiger (61" deck, 29 HP Kaw.) and the Bobcat Predator (61" deck 37 HP Kaw/). Here is the link

Actually the ratings aren't too far apart and I have been going back and forth about which mower to buy. One dealer sells both and felt that the Scag distributor in the New Jersey area wasn't as good as the Bobcat distributor in terms of helping to support warranty issues. The Scag is more expensive, but not enough to really affect my decision. I drove both mowers and liked them both. Does anyone have an opinion on the review ratings? I think I have read all the search links for both mowers so I don't know what anyone can add - but I would love to hear any comments from owners/operators of either machine. Thanks!
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Bobcat is really big in New Jersey for some reason. I don't know of many complaints with either Brand. As you can see I run Scag but my conditions may be totally different from yours. The Scags are very over built but I see no reason a Bobcat wouldn't suite your needs. As we always say get out there and demo them and see what fits your needs. You will get all kinds of conflicting reports on this forum.
  3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I vote for the Scag also. Great mowers:usflag:
  4. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

I was going to post about this topic myself yesterday. I just demoed a scag 61" with the EFI, this being a top of the line model I thought it would be awesome. Me and a fellow lanscaper friend of mine put it to work yesterday, did all sorts of residentials and a few ball feilds and I know neither one of us were impressed. Mower had great speed and power but did not like the cut at all. Very litle stripping, threw clippings all over the operator. The mower also had a lot of rattling going on and with only 35hours on the machine I know it was not a beat up used machine. On the positive side the hydros were very responsive but it seemed like a little tap did a lot of movement which was good and bad. Im scheduled to test a bobcat during the week and a wright stander. So far Im still a dixie chopper fan... just my 2 cents
  5. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a cub cadet tank and everyone on here will tell you to not get them. Why will they tell you to not get them? I asked that same question and got minimal responses that weren't bad. Just go with what you like, don't ask any questions on this board about what mower to get.
  6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

That was the case, but not anymore. I see very few Bobcat Z's. The one co. (Lipinski) had nothing but Bobcat, now I see eXmark and hustler Z's and Bobcat walks. I do know of 2 other company's that use them, but mainy it's eXmark, Toro, Wright, Snapper (Hydro walks),Bunton (same as Snapper mainly walks), Grasshopper (only ever seen 1), a few DC's and I've seen a total of 2 Deere commercial mowers.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I tested out a 61" Predator with the 33hp genereac and was extremely impressed!! I would take it over the scag for a couple of reasons! For me it turns much quicker than scag and it is more compact!
  8. KatKutter

KatKutter LawnSite Member

Bobcats Are made by CGC Commercial Grounds Care. I have used them for years way back when they were made by Ransome Corp. The company is located in Johnson Creek Wisconsin. They are excellent, great machines and they stand behind them 100%. Atleast they always have for me. The guys at the company will speek directly to you if you ever need them. I have had very few problems with the cats, what few times I did they were always there to help. Strong machine, I have had 9 over the years, and some ran over 4000 hours.
  9. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

In my S Jersey area the Bobcat and the dealers are very strong little to no problems very few Scags
  10. jdhardcab

jdhardcab LawnSite Member

I found SOS Landscaping's comment about all the rattling going on with the Scag unit he demoed interesting. The Scag turf tiger I demoed only had 20 hours on the clock and it too was rattling quite a bit. Some of the rattling may have been from the Rops and at the time I thought it was unique to the particular unit I was using.