1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag at expo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JPLAWNSERVICE, Sep 29, 2004.

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

Maybe I missed them but I didn't see Scag at the expo in Louisville. Does anybody know why a company that size would choose not to particapate in the expo knowing that all of their competition would be there. :
  2. mole

mole LawnSite Member

Lesco was not there either. Maybe they save themselves for the NC show. People were saying that is a better show.
  3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

those shows are a waste of money!

many companys in all industrys have now decided over the last 5 years that most trade shows are a waste of capital and employee efforts! They are finding new ways to access the consumer!

sounds like the lawn mower guys are catching on to this?
  4. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I looked for the Skag booth also. Disappointed they chose not to attend. I had questions I wanted to ask the reps, rather than asking a dealer, who would rather answer only when paid. Somethings are more easily addressed by pointing, showing and asking, in person, than by e-mail or letter.
    Good show other wise.

5. Jhunter

Jhunter LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

A company of that size and magntude should not even blink an eye at the costs compare to the impact.
  6. Norm Al

"the impact".....?

how many people do you think they would have influenced by going to that show?

good dealers close to you and that give good service is what influence lawn men!

if the closest skag dealer was 300 miles from you would you own a skag? would you own a skag because the sales guy told you their mower goes .25 miles per hour faster than JD? OR would you buy because skag sent you a flyer tellin you they are giving a $1000.00 rebate because they saved so much money this year by not going to trade shows?

trust me,,,,trades shows only work for NEW products or NEW companys trying to bust open the doors!
    Acute Cut likes this.
  7. Norm Al

ask meg-mo why they dont go to any florida trade shows? hey megmo how come yall dont go to florida and how much do you think you sold as a direct link to the trades how? and how much total do you think the trade show cost you?

8. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Al I disagree with you. Trade shows are not typically for consumers but they are for distributors and yes they are very important in building a brand. Trade shows are alive and well...believe me.

Scag should have been there. It may have cost them $5000 at the most.
  9. Norm Al

"degree" its ok to disagree with me,,,,hey my wife does all the time!

do a search and talk to companys and they will confirm to you that tradeshows are more about posturing to your own competition! so as a result many industrys are bailing out of tradeshows! im just stating the facts!

buyers shows put on by a specific distributor where a particular manufacturer can offer incentives and discounts to the retailer as a one one point of sale for a given season are growing in leaps and bounds!
  10. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

This years show was the best we have had in the last 9 years. The cost also was the most as prices go up every year. When we first went the east hall was full now next year they won't use it at all.