Scag & Badboy.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Blevins, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Well today I decided to go and look at some mowers. I got on the Badboy website and found a dealer down the road. I made a call and he said he had three and would be glad to show them to me. I also went to look at the Scag Turf tiger and Scag and Exmark walk-behinds. Anyway went to see the Badboys and noticed first thing when I stood up on it that the floorboard would "flex" with my weight on it. 6'4" 210 pounds. As I set on it I realized that it has a very high center of gravity. Running the mower I realized that the handles had some play in them. I have to admit I am used to the Scags. Everything seemed easy to get to. The one I looked at was a 26 liquid cooled kaw 60". Personaly it looked like a well built machine. Built better than a Scag turf tiger I dont think so. When I stood on the Turf tiger it did not flex at all. I am just comparing the BB and the Scag here. To me if you put them side by side and looked at how they are built anybody would pick the Tiger. Its just my 2 cents but after looking thoroughly at both machines I pick the Tiger. The badboy is cheaper but I personally think you couldn't resale a badboy for half of what you paid for it. Another thing Scag warranty is better. After questioning the dealer to death he said the only complaints he has had was they just don't mow hills very well again the high center of gravity. Like I said just my 2 cents on the Badboy mower. Take it how you want to. There won't be one on my trailer anytime soon.

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you for being honest some of the conclusions about bad boy I had the same ones.
    I think they have some good features but lets be honest they are coming in at price. You feel awkward when you are on one. Just my 2 cents.

3. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Mike my man you bleed ( cats eye gold) Scag orange that 29dfi Turf Tiger sounds better and better dont it

4. Mike Blevins

Dont worry Chuck there will be cats eye gold on the trailer come spring. Went to another dealer today and looked at the ultimate 48 and of course the 29 dfi Turf Tiger. I liked the 48 alot better thab the 52 I looked at last week.

5. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what i have 2 of.... a 2000 swzu ultimate and a 2007 swzu ultimate both 48 s and you can cut alot of grass fast with those machines you would love a 48 Went down to Indy today to another scag dealer...... RE-POWER and saw Jims machines that he uses in his lawn care company... Clark Lawn he runs 72" scag walkbehinds and iam telling you those machines are big honking walks

6. Mike Blevins

72 inch walk-behinds good grief. I have been having fun looking and doing demos on all these mowers this winter. Just waiting on spring to come and get my new Scags and start back.

7. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

the floorboard flexed? It was resting on 4 square tubing frame rails. Are you saying the whole mower frame flexed?

8. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I weigh 255 and my Turf Tiger don't flex a bit. When I was looking at mowers, Scag was undoubtedly the heaviest built mower I looked at. I did not look at Bad Boy though. It came down to Scag, Emark,or Hustler.I build a lot of stuff out of steel usually very stout and still notice little things on the Scag that are really heavy duty. I didn't see anyone that builds the frame and deck any better. David

9. Mike Blevins

Yes the whole thing flexed, you could actually feel the trame moving. If there is a dealer nearby go and try it out for youself, I was very surprised myself. That has to be a problem sometime in the future I would think.

10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Mike, I am a dealer. I'm on vacation right now, but I'll be back in town Monday, so I'll try what you were talking about. I weigh 200# or so, so it should be a fair comparison. Frame flex like you're talking about is something I've yet to see on the Bad Boys, but for fairness' sake, I'll try what you tried and post what I find. I will say that we've had several Hustler converts and they have all commented on the stiffness of the frame. I don't think we've had any Scag converts yet, but we've only been selling Bad Boy since May.