Scag bagger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag413, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am wanting to purchase either the clam-shell or the 3-spindle fabric bagger for my Scag Tiger Cub so I can start a fall clean-up. I was wondering if you have to remove the turbo baffle for bagging. I know you have to for the mulch plate because I have one. My problem would be is that I am still mowing in the fall and I have some big yards to mow that I wouldn't want to have to bag. I don't care to remove part or all of the bagger, but that turbo baffle is a pain putting on and off. Plus that would be a lot of down time. You can mow without the turbo baffle on, but I have heard it doesn't do a very good job. Does anyone else know how it does? I guess I should mention I am 16 and only have the one zero turn because I run the whole show. Which bagger do you recommend? Plus should I advertise first about the fall clean-up or take the 2 grand risk that there will be the work? I am positive there will be but you just never know sometimes.

2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I really like the clam shell and it is much faster than the fabric bagger. It comes with a new baffle. I through my rakes away. It is like any other equipment or tool. If you have it in your hand you will be quick to sell the service, as apposed to "I wish I had one". It can pay for itself and make you money in the first season. You will find your self doing jobs long after every one else has put their equipment away for the winter.

3. Scag413

So you can remove the bagger and still have the new baffle on to mow with? Thanks!

4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

No I woulnd't mow with the baffle on.

5. Scag413

Sorry, I have a few more questions. iluvscag, how well does it mow with the baffle off? Littleriver1, how do you load the leaves from the dump to the truck? Is it tall enough to dump straight into the bed, or do you use a tarp on the ground and then throw them up there?

6. Scag413

anybody else????????????????????????

7. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have the clamshell bagger on a 52" tiger cub. I run the mulching blades so when the leaves are really deep, I take the belt off that drives the blower and mulch the leaves into smaller pieces. Then I put the belt back on(takes less than 60 seconds) and pick up the pieces. I have 4 ft plywood sides on a 16 ft utility trailer so I just back in, pull the lever, and drive out again for another load. All I need now is a trailer that unloads its self

8. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Removing leaves from a property, mulched or other wise is not fun or cheap. There is no easy way with out spending a lot of money or energy. If I have to use my rake then you have to PAY. If I have to bring more help and equipment then you have to pay. The other side of the coin is, what do you do with it after it is loaded. You can't leave it on the truck for ever. Ever find your self alone at the land fill? $45.00 a ton and up. Just keep focused, this house and lawn and all the crap in it belong to the home owner, not you. Never ever take possession of another mans crap. Don't worry about how to get it on the truck, you'll find a way. Like my old grandpa used to say. Don't worry about the Mule, load the wagon.

9. Scag413

Thanks guys, that was what I was looking for!