Scag , battery not charging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brianslawncare, Sep 1, 2014.

1. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a scag turf tiger, I put a brand new engine in it and the battery won't charge? If I put another battery in it I'm good for a couple more yards then it dies again? This happened with the old engine too. But I'm not sure what it can be? Thank you brian
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. ilike2mow

ilike2mow LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you reconnect the battery charging wires when you reinstalled the new motor?

4. brianslawncare

Yes I just have a positive and negative wire to the battery. But this happened with the old motor last season?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Fuses, fuse holders, other issues
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Without a machine model and serial number posted or even a engine brand/type, It's anyone's guess....... :walking:

7. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

That was my point
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. brianslawncare

The model is stt27ka. It's a 27hp liquid cooled Kawasaki engine. For the serial number I will get it in the morning. Thank you
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cannondale23

cannondale23 LawnSite Member

look for loose or open wires on the tractor... I noticed some open wires in the control box section of the tractor... where the throttle lever is etc. A mouse must of got in there a couple of winters ago and chewed on the wires... so the thing runs fine but I bet I have a parasitic draw that kills the battery quicker, I go thru a couple each year... this winter I'll tape up the open wires and see if I have better results next year... I use the goodyear 340cca battery in my scag

10. cannondale23

cannondale23 LawnSite Member

here is another thing I did a couple of nights ago just to make sure the battery was charging while engine was running....
    test the battery when running to see if its being charged my says 13.x when motor is running
    and 12.7x when out... anything below 12.6 when not charging and you need to charge it
    you can use a multi meter like the one harbor freight sells... set it to 20 dcv and test away... there is a youtube video on how to work a cen-tech multi meter testing a 12 volt battery