Scag belts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by logan, Jul 29, 2003.

1. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I have owned a Scag belt drive wb for a year and a half. When I make a left hand turn, I need to jump off my Jungle Wheels and push it to get it going again. The tension wheel is applying the maximum pressure on the top of the belt when I let go of the grip. Could it be worn out already. My dealer said they would wear out faster with a sulky but I can't believe they only lasted a year and a half on mostly smaller (10-15 minutes) backyards.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

IMO, 1.5 years is good, depending on use of course. How many hours approx. on machine???

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Don't forget your using a belt with a sulky it's pushing and pulling.

My Scag W/B's we do belts and pulleys annualy

4. logan

from FL

It's hard to say, I don't have an hour meter on it. I would guess 150-175 or so. Thank you for your reply, looks like I'll be getting some belts this week.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure you get OEM SCAG drive belts.

Also pick up two tensioning springs, springs DO go bad sometimes!

6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

That's really not bad at all to have lasted that long.
    You state a per backyard time, but how many hours total does that mean?

7. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Definitely got to replace the pulleys periodically, and the springs.....then replace your belt drive with a hydro because you're never going to get belts to work well all the time, sulky or no

8. logan

from FL

Why would you replace the pulleys. There is no noticable wear and the paint is still there from the factory. Should I replace the springs with stronger ones for more grabbing power?

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know where Red Dwarf is coming from.
    You do not HAVE to replace pulleys periodically, you replace them when they require being replaced. Same is true for the springs.
    Hydro or belt drive, neither one is perfect and not ever break down. Advantages to both, ease of operation goes to Hydro, long term durability probably goes to Belt/Gear drive. At least not as expensive to replace Belts and/or tranny.

10. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Trust me, the pulleys do wear

It's hard to see, but they actually get "smooth" and reduce in diameter

Don't worry about stronger springs. Most of your grip doesn't really come from the idler, it comes from the surface area on the drive pulleys, but they're cheap so replace em. They also break (seen several break in the last year) so it's cheap insurance

Also: make sure your engine to trasmission belt is tight. This belt can slip too