Scag Blade spacers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by jstew33, Jun 13, 2013.

1. jstew33

jstew33 LawnSite Member

I bought a used V Ride 48" model and had a question about the blade spacers. I noticed that the blade spacers are roughly an inch length. So when you set the deck height, it's actually mowing an inch lower. No big deal since I know that, but it does obviously set the blades lower in the deck and increases my chances of scalping on uneven terrain. I've called dealer asking for 1/2" spacers or alternatives and they have said that it's supposed to have the 1" spacers on it. I'm guessing that the blades that low in the deck help with vacuum, but does anybody else have issues with this. I know that I can raise the deck height, but even mowing at 2" - 3" it seems that there is little buffer if you make a mistake or hit a rough patch. Thanks for the help.

2. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Even with the spacers the blade tip to the ground should be the setting on the mower. Your deck is out of wack if it's not close to being the same.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. BJWLAWNCARE

BJWLAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

i never cut grass at 2 inches

4. jstew33

jstew33 LawnSite Member

That's good to know that the deck may not be adjusted correctly. I figured someone would say something about the 2" cut height. The majority of the properties are Bermuda and I slowly raise throughout the season based on rain, heat, etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I have taken them out of all the velocity decks of mine and put 1 each of the older spacers. I have noticed that the cut is alot better without the bigger spacer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. jstew33

jstew33 LawnSite Member

Do you have a part number for the old spacers or dimensions?

7. Rvldesign

Rvldesign LawnSite Member

Subscrive
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I never seen a scag that had numbers on the adj. device that meant anythign. So if you want to move the blade up and down relative to the deck just get a bunch of washers.. I don't know what happens to the cut if you raise the blade up in the deck...probably bad cut. Bought wrong mower for cutting tif bermuda.

9. stoneseller

stoneseller LawnSite Member
    from MD Z7

Hardware store variety flat washers are stamped (probably in a factory in China) and are not typically real flat nor real uniform in thickness.
    I'd personally never use a stamped washer on any rotating anything.

Machined face washers can be purchased by the box at places like McMaster Carr. Bearing spacers or bearing locking collars are also readily available from multiple sources.

The amount of run-out at the end of a 20" blade could be pretty substantial using cheap washers, particularly if several are stacked up. Really not a good practice.

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Scag is probably the only mower I haven't found improvement by messing with the spacing. Like ed said if it bothers you that much, measure the blade tip in relation to what number you are set at. Even altering tire pressure will make factory markings meaningless.
    Posted via Mobile Device