scag blades will not engage .

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Nov 12, 2005.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

my blade clutch toggle finally went out so i bought a new toggle from "landscapesupplyonline" and put it in but my blade clutch still will not engage . before it went out here recently it would turn itself in the off position quite frequently . then i would turn the toggle back on and the blades would spin again . but this last time was the last time . now i am lost the clutch never slipped or hesitated to engage at all . any one got as clue what i need to do now ?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not as familiar with the Scaggs, But I would unplug the clutch under the unit and test for current from the switch with a multimeter. If none then go to the switch and check for current going into it. Post back what you find.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

For the most part, blade clutchs last a long time. I can only rmember one ever going south on one of my WB's and that only had like 50 or 60 hours on it. Turned out a couple of welds let go and it was completly waranteed too so I was covered.

The fact you said my blade clutch toggle finally went out makes me think maybe so did the clutch...

4. weedwoop

weedwoop LawnSite Member

My Scag cougar has a 15a fuse in the clutch circuit. I had some chaffed wires going to the clutch and blowing the fuse. On the cougar, I found the fuse under the seat. I don,t know what model you have, but if you look around a little i bet you will find it.

5. befnme

do you think that the clutch would go out if it has never had a problem ? well come to think of it i guess if it was an electrical problem inside the clutch that may have been what was turning the switch off so many times .

6. befnme

thanks restrorob i will do that tomarrow and post back . do you think there is a fuse or relay somewhere ?

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

As I said I'm not up on the Scaggs but most units do have a fuse and some have relays. You will have to look around as weedwoop suggested but the quick test I explained will tell you if it is indeed the clutch ,A fuse or a relay. In most cases when a clutch goes bad it will not flip the switch off it just stops working,

8. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Check the air gap on the clutch,and did you get the exact same toggle switch that you had?

9. befnme

yes same exact one . it dosent have 6 different wires to plug up only a molded rubber plug with the wires imbedded so it has to be exact .

10. befnme

thanks i will test it sunday .