Scag blades

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Scooby1, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Scooby1

Scooby1 LawnSite Member
    from England

I have a Scag Turf Runner and have just discovered that I may have mulching blades fitted. In the U.K. we are having a very wet summer and because the grass is usually wet I'm not collecting as well as I would like.

My blades have a notch cut out of each end of each blade on the "lift" part. Is this a mulching blade and should I have a different blade ? My parts book tells me that there is only one type (part No. 481554 L.H. & 481555 R.H.)

Can anyone help please ?

p.s. the blades in U.K. are priced at £39.83 each !!

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Is the notch on the side of the blade near the end or is it in the end. If is IN the end then the blade is just warn out. The notch will be right at the point the blade turns up. Sand will do this quicker than any thing. Can you post a picture of the blade?

3. Scooby1

Scooby1 LawnSite Member
    from England

Good morning fixer. Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure that the notches are in the "lifting" art of the blade but I will check and get back to you via PM with a piccy if possible. Please bear with me. New to this site and still learning !!

Toodleoo from the Scoobydoo

4. Scooby1

Scooby1 LawnSite Member
    from England

I hope this includes a piccy of one of my blades (still attached to mower).

The notches are all identical and are in the "lift" part of the blades. The mower has only done 304 hours and I never "scalp" with it.

TIA - Scooby

View attachment image07.jpg

5. fixer67

From the picture you posted it does look like a mulching blade from the wave the blade has in it. Below are two types of mulching blade. The first one with the big cut outs is ment for leaves mostly (I thank). The second one which looks like your picture is for grass. The first part (downward pointing) part cuts the grass and throws it up. The second part (upward pointing) part recuts it and throws it down. This keeps up until it is cut it bits. The notch it the END of the blade like in your picture is from hitting something or from sand cutting the blade. The problem is sand blasted blades the notch is in the fold where blade meets lift but yours seem to be higher up. I thank the notch is from you hitting something maybe part of the deck being bent in or it could be a trade mark I have not seen before this being in the UK. Go look at a set of new blades to know for sure. But from what I can tell from the picture it does seem to be a mulching blade.

copy of 6493.jpg

6. fixer67

I just though to say this. Slowly turn the blades by hand and make sure the blades are not hitting each other. Seeing as yours blade are LH and RH this means the blade are TIMED to keep from hitting each other and if the timing is off they will hit and leave marks like that in the end of the blade.

7. fixer67

I did a Google search with the blade numbers you posted and a deck IPL came back. If this is what your deck looks like the I would by all means checking the blade timing. This deck is made just like a Walker deck and when the shear bolt shear the blade will hit. The blades on this type of deck must be torqued to a set level or the shear bolts do not do there job which it to fail when you do hit something to help prevent the deck gear boxes from failing.

Attached Files:

8. Scooby1

Scooby1 LawnSite Member
    from England

Good Morning Fixer,

Many thanks for your reply. Your are correct in that the STR blades are timed but because they are gearbox driven and not belt driven everything is O.K. in that area. They have never become "untimed". Because of the various pictures that you sent me I am beginning to think that they are just worn out. Is this natural after 300 hours ?

I never "mow" sand but like everybody I occasionally hit stones.

Was interested in the .pdf The blades in that piccy are different again with the cut-out at the back of the blade.

I am aware that there are lots of negative comments about the STR but it is my first ride-on and because I am a working farmer and contractor I don't want to spend hours cutting grass. I just want to sit on it and go. Having said that it does get serviced properly. I am dead chuffed with the machine, really manoeverable, and easy to drive.

Most "city" types round here buy Countax machines and they are absolute Mickey Mouse stuff. Built down to a price and 'orrible.

Only problem with Scag is petrol engine. (mine is lovely 20hp Kohler). Petrol in UK is £0.78p/litre. Reckon thats about $1.37c

We have Walker mowers over here just like STR but Kubota diesel twin but they dont have the spreading option like the STR, only put the grass in the box.

Haven't discovered yet how to PM you with piccies but will if I can

Thank you - Scooby

9. fixer67

The PM on the site does not allow pictures. I work for a Walker dealer and work on Walkers every day. IF the shear bolts fail the blade will hit. Have your Scag shear bolts ever failed? The Blade with the big cut outs in the back is what I call a leaf blade myself. Now as far as Walkers go if you do not wish to bag(box) you can just leave the door up. Walker even makes a thing to put on the door that deflects the grass back down if you wish. Walker also makes a side discharge deck machine. On the SD machine the box is replaced by a maunal dump bed. 300 hour hours is a lot of hours on a set of blades if you ask me. As for ware it has to do with what and where you are mowing. If there is a lot of sand a set of blades got ware out in 30 hours.

10. Scooby1

Scooby1 LawnSite Member
    from England

Hi Fixer,

Thanks for last post. No, I've never sheared the small bolts that hold the blades on the carrier. They have come loose a couple of times but I always check them after finishing mowing.

I take your point about 300 hrs being a lot for a set of blades but the cutting edge is not worn and I've had them off about four times to sharpen them. Reckon I might build them up where they are worn but I am aware that they should probably be balanced.

I like the Walker idea of being able to pick the bed up so you can get at it to clean it properly. The STR is not good in this regard.

Anyway other more pressing problems loom now. Was combining yesterday and one of the bearings collapsed that holds the main beater together in the guts of the harvester. At least a days work to fix it.

Good wishes from the UK

Scooby