1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

scag blowing out flames

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JJLandscapes, Sep 6, 2005.

1. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

we installed a new exhaust for our 32" scag 2 weeks ago and everything was fine now there are flames shooting out of the exhaust once in a while..... it has a 14hp kawasaki engine that never gave a problem before

what could be causing this? some sort of leak?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Post the model and spec. numbers off the white bar code label On the shroud.
    How old is this unlt ? How many hours do you figure is on it ?

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Get some pics of this beast blowin flames at night LOL, put a marshmallow next to the muffler lmao

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Would it throw a flame if the exhaust valve isn't fully closed when it fires? Maybe the valves are sticking.....put some kind of addative in oil for that maybe??

5. lawnmaniac883

Ed, I highly doubt that seeing how he mentions no poor performance or valve rattle/noise. I would have a leakdown test done on the machine...may tell if you have a leak anyway.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Thats right where I was headed ed. Most Kawasaki engines should have the head removed and decarboned every 300 hours and valves adjusted.
    With a small piece of carbon under the exhaust valve could in fact hold it open enough to let the flame through but show no sign of poor performance or rocker noise.
    And lawnmaniac, A leak-down test would be the ultimate way to check for this problem or any other.
    IMO I'm leaning towards a exhaust valve problem.

7. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Good one...couple hot dogs to. :)

8. lawnmaniac883

Strange how a flame is gettin past the muffler/spark arrestors and shootin out isnt it yall?