Scag boys please help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bart may, Apr 17, 2004.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I just bought a tiger cub yesterday. I've got the break in hours already and need to change the fluids. The hydro fluid calls for 20W50 motor oil. I told the mechanic I was going to use full synthetic and he said I can't. Is this right? I think he doens't have a clue. This is still a motor oil and a far superior one at that. Let me know if any of you are using this in your scag hydro systems. I'm using it in my Toros just fine. Thanks for your help:confused:

2. we use amsoil or mobil one synthectic in all our scag hydro walk behinds...been doi ng it for years ...no prolemo at all.
    I had a tiger cub's and full size turf tigers ...first change i put either mobil one or amsoil in.

3. qwikv6

qwikv6 LawnSite Member

My Cub has about 9 hours on it and I just changed the engine oil and filter at the 5 hour breakin. I used a top quality filter and Mobil 1. have not changed the Hydro oil yet.

4. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

the manual calls for petro based oil, not synthetic. Why spend the extra money? I've heard of people here using either, but I would use the regular oil.

5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer said scag was very strict about what fluids you put in them and it could effect the warranty.He said just go with whats recommended in the manual.

6. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I use regular oil. I change oil and filter at the end off every year. I have machines that are eight years old and on there third engine with no problems with hydros. I guess sythetic won't cause any problems, Exmark uses it in there machines and they have the same pumps on there ZTR as the Cubs. But was told once you use sythethic, you can't go back to regular oil, don't knowe if that is true or no though.

7. you can go back to dino after useing synthectic ...its a crock of s.hit about the warrenty is void useing synthectic .....synthectic is worth the extra cost..the pumps run cooler and will extend the life of the pumps.

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I just purchased a tiger cub this week, my dealer said to change to synthetic after the 1st change on the hydro if I wanted to, it would help to run cooler. He said also there was no breaj in change on the hydro system just change after 1 year or 500 hours

9. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

They may try to, but they can't void the warranty as long as you use a oil that meets their specs. And, if the oil is proven to cause the failure, I know Amsoil will warranty it, not sure about Mobil.

It's a matter of preference. I don't think you'll have any problems if you use conventional oil, and you'll probably be rid of the mower before anything wears out, as long as you service it regularly. But synthetics will help it run cooler, wear less, and extend the life. And you can typically extend your change intervals, meaning less maintenance costs. To me it's worth the extra cost of putting in synthetics.

Randy

10. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

What Odin and Randy J said! I prefer the Syn's myself. If the dealer said it could void your warranty then he is not very knowledgeable.