Scag Cheeta, Nice? or Not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by KnK, Feb 19, 2013.

1. KnK

KnK LawnSite Member

Been cutting with scags since the 80's, but just walkbehinds, really like their decks on the wet , thin grass in sw PA , need to get off my feet a bit , in my 40s and a solo operator run about 35 accts a week , high end res,with a few commercial, is the seating system the cats ass or what? any input would be great.

2. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the suspension platform on the Cheetah. My back used to get sore after about three hours of mowing, now no problems. The ZT I had before the Cheetah was a JD without a suspension seat though. I assume any high quality ZT with a good suspension seat would be about the same ride as the Cheetah suspension platform.

3. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

I own a cheetah. The suspension system works just as well as a regular suspension seat. My back is never sore.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i have a deere. it was rough after mowing 2hrs straight without a susupension seat. i put a suspension kit on it and now i can mow all day without any issues.

the cheetah is gonna be the next mower i buy but that is years down the road since my deere is only 2 years old.

5. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

I own a Cheetah, rarely do i get to ride it but my guys love it
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Curtis

Curtis LawnSite Member

They need an EFI engine on that bad boy, gas is going sky high
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ztman

No doubt, they are thirsty. I get about 1.9 gph

8. mowcrazy

mowcrazy LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what Ive been hearing also is the terrible per hour fuel...... Do you have the kaw 31hp?????

I actually bought a scag cheetah today and it has the 850fx or whatever it is on it.............

Here is something to try though man....... Everyone I tell this to thinks Im nuts but try it. My buddy has a scag cheetah and loves it but he was getting burned on gallon per hour at 2gall per hour on his. He started mowing at 3/4 throttle and said he now is getting 1.3-1.4 per hour. I mow with him at a few jobs and at 3/4 throttle it does just as good of a job as my cats wide open throttle......... AS LONG AS IT HAS A CLEAN DECK! It does a wonderful job........ We have been long time fans of the tiger cub/cats with the 61 velocity and his cheetah running at 3/4 throttle does just as well as our cats wide open throttle day in and day out......

9. ztman

I have the 31, never tried mowing at 3/4. Will have to give it a try

10. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

I love mine for wide open areas. My dislikes are the controls are a little stiff and the tanks over top of the spindles. Fuel I get 1.5 gph full throttle 34 kohler. The kohler will put out a big puff of smoke if you just start it up and let it run a min and shut it off. The next time you start it it will put out a puff of while smoke. If that makes sense.
    Posted via Mobile Device