Scag cheetah review!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnybravo8802, Mar 22, 2011.

1. reynoldsmower

reynoldsmower LawnSite Member

Scag didn't build the cheetah to replace the turf tiger. They are two completely different machines. If the cheetah is going to replace anything in the Scag line it will be the wildcat

2. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Before the cheetah came out I asked my scag rep if this was going to be a replacement for the TT and he said absoutley not. The TT is in a class of its own. I dont belive scag has the thought that they were going to convert TT owners to cheetah owners. I think they are going after other brands and trying to put them on scags. Which I think they will do.

Its great to sell the scag line with having one of the best mowers on the market in the TT and have possibly the second best in the cheetah. I dont compete aginst ferris since there is no dealer within 50 miles of us. But if I did the cheetah would be great to have in our back pocket.

3. torotorotoro

torotorotoro LawnSite Senior Member

i got to demo one and i did not notice to much of a hill problem. did your mower have turf master tires. i also dont think that it is any narrower then tt .center of gravity is definatly higher. they could not put the tank under the seat because of the suspension strut under there.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Both engines are V-twins. Actually just about any 2 cylinder engine you buy on any lawnmower today will be V-shaped.

Also about slopes:
    [​IMG]

The top blue line is a 20 degree slope....just saying.

5. Mowin'n'Howin

Mowin'n'Howin LawnSite Member
    from LA

Well you weren't using the high and low ranges for their purposes. High range is meant for transport, not climbing hills. You wouldn't start your truck up a hill in overdrive, would you??

6. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Yea, I realize the both are V-twins but the TT has a vertical shaft and the cheetah has a horizontal shaft and there is a difference. I will go with a vertical shaft any day...I just feel it's a stronger engine. As far as what I've been on with my TT, I maintain retention ponds and use an angleometer to determine a slope degree. I've been on a 30 degree slope with the TT but there's no way I'd do that with the cheetah.

7. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

Yea, this was the argument with the 15MPH add with the Hustler also. I argued that it was merely a transport speed until I was blue in the face in 08' but nobody believed me. Hustler themselves said it was for transport only in 00' and then they started saying it was for mowing at 15MPH. The problem is that most on here weren't around mowing in 00' and so they don't really know. I just quit arguing and left it at that.

Scag has come onto the market advertising the mower mowing at 16MPH and it was able to do that in my review. I purposely climbed hills in high to compare it to the Hustler and all the complaints Hustler received about their hydros. I used a Super Z several times and I related the high speed to equal high gearing and poor hill climbing. I think Scag may have heard the same argument and went with a two speed...I don't know. I just know the Scag climbed hills fine in high gear but I wouldn't make a habit of this. I personally wouldn't have to use low gear much. I do know the 5400 transaxles were exceptionally loud and I prefer the TT hydros. My wife could hear me in the subdivision across the road when I was just playing around. That's loud!!!!!

8. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I just watched the Scag Cheetah video again and the low range is for normal use and high range for wide open mowing and transport. Do you think it would have been better on hills in low? Seems traction would be better in low. I think we may need another test in low range to see how it does. Low seems to be the primary gear and high would be used for special situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HsgbwrWqBM

9. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

I still have it so I will test it in low range. I think the traction issue is related to the design. To me, the whole purpose for the suspension and the speed is to be able to use it all the time to save time..time=money. As far as Hustler is concerned, you use the speed all the time.

10. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Awesome! Try it in low and let us know! May feel like a different machine. I think it was designed to run in low according to the video. Up to 12 mph low 16 mph high. Thanks man.