Scag Cheetah vs. Ferris

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mts25, May 19, 2014.

1. mts25

mts25 LawnSite Member

I current own a Kubota ZTR with a suspension seat which I really like, but I have a terribly bumpy back yard and really take a beating on the Kubota when I run flat out. I demo'd a Ferris 2100z and while I like the suspension part of the mower, the steering was terribly sloppy compared to my Kubota, so much so that I really wasn't interested in the mower. The Ferris reminded me of driving an older american pick-up truck where you could actually turn the steering wheel a little left and right and never actually turn the truck at all.

I see that the Scag Cheetah also offers a suspension mower (thought a little different than the Ferris). It will be a pain to get a demo of one (different dealer) and I was wondering how the Scag stacks up against the Ferris for those that have used both? Is the Scag steering sloppy like the Ferris or precise like the Kubota? Is Scag's platform suspension as much of a upgrade over the Kubota's suspension seat as the Ferris was?

Just trying to avoid wasting mine and the dealers time with a demo if the Scag is going to handle like the Ferris did.

Thanks in advance.

2. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

A year ago this past April, I was in deep research for a ZTR that would handle my "very rough" yard. Although I never got to test the Ferris in my yard (the dealer wanted me to test it on his cement parking lot), I did test the gravely 460 (with suspension seat), and the Scag Cheetah. I felt the Cheetah did a slightly better job cutting and handling the many bumps.

THE Cheetah turn the grass cutting chore from 4 hours plus, into a chore of 1.75 hours.....

Simply said ..."I love my Cheetah 60" kaw 31hp"

:usflag: *trucewhiteflag* :usflag:

3. mizzman

mizzman LawnSite Member
    from Mid MO

I just bought a new 61" Cheetah, 27HP Kawasaki. The other mower I considered was a Ferris 3100Z. What it boiled down to was price and dealer location. The Ferris seems like a well built mower, but I didn't demo one. But from what I've read it has great ride. However it was considerably more expensive than the Scag now that Ferris only offers them with BB engines. Very happy with the Cheetah and 27HP Kawi.

4. Terrain1

Terrain1 LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I would check, or demo a different ferris. I have run them exclusively in my landscaping operation for the past 6 years and have found them to be extremely agile and reliable. The only issues I have ever had was the new 37 kawi dfi motor that came out a few years ago. I currently run both 3100s and 2100s and both machines are very responsive.

5. madxtreme01

madxtreme01 LawnSite Member

cheetah is an amazing machine. I chose it over the ferris because of price as well, suspension is great. My other choice was a bobcat predator pro

6. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Hey before you give up on the kubota I got some tips if it's the 300 series. Let the air out of the rear tires till they squash a little when you step on them. My suspension seat is broke and ya I feel the bumps but the tires take all the shock. Also they make a air ride seat called the z puffer for $400. If your kubota is the 300 series it is twice the machine as either of these. That said I did drive the cheetah in the parking lot at the dealer and I really liked it. It's similar feel to the kubota. The 5400 transaxels are nice. 3100 ferris should feel the same. I thought the 2100 ferris was weird too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. madxtreme01

never used a kabota and don't know much about their machines, i just know that their diesel's are better than anything else, but their machines from what I understand are very pricey

8. JCLawn and more

from MI

I played 12.8 for my 326 new. Msrp is 14.5. I was quoted 18-19 for ferris and scag big diesels. Jd was right there too. For that price I could have a dump bagger and upgrade to the 4 year unlimited hr warranty. Only bad boy is in that price range.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. madxtreme01

im afraid that one of my guys will put regular gas in a diesel, so its easier to just have everything gas, or everything diesel. Just paid $10,100 for a cheetah 61"

10. JCLawn and more

from MI

More me diesel goes in mowers and straight gas goes in the 4 stroke handhelds :) only I run the 2 stroke hedge trimmer and chainsaw
    Posted via Mobile Device