Scag click noise

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tcf4141, Sep 1, 2011.

1. tcf4141

tcf4141 LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I have a 48" scag freedom z rider. We have one single click noise when turning the ignition key...anyone have any suggestions...here are some more details...

replaced solenoid
    replaced battery
    replaced voltage regulator
    replaced stator
    checked all safety switches
    mower used to start by jumping it but now will not start at all

any help would be great, we have been dealing with this for months and now cant jump start it anymore so we might have to rent a mower for the weekend, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Did you check to see if your PTO switch is on (engaged)?

3. tcf4141

tcf4141 LawnSite Member

i checked, its not engaged

4. Curtis

Curtis LawnSite Member

The ignition switch might have some corrosion, Scag parts are never cheap. Just changed mine only took 5 min.

5. tcf4141

tcf4141 LawnSite Member

how do i change that switch? would it make sense tho that it used to start by jumping it and now it doesnt

6. StanWilhite

Could still be the switch. Turn the switch to the "on" position (not start) and jump a wire from the + side of the battery to the + side of the starter and see what happens.

7. tcf4141

tcf4141 LawnSite Member

what does the + side of starter look like? starter right? not the solenoid?

8. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 LawnSite Senior Member

I just rebuilt the starter on my tiger cub because it was making a "click" I took a look at purchasing a new starter, but it cost over $200:dizzy:

Regardless of it being a scag, a Freedom Z is designed for homeowners...just sayin

9. StanWilhite

It'll have a terminal w/the big wire from the battery going to it. Wire is probably red.

10. dahammer

dahammer LawnSite Member

Tap on the starter with a hammer, then try to start it. Or tap on it while someone else tries to start it. A lot of times that's all it takes to get a starter that is on it's way out to spin. Don't pound it, just tap it.