Scag Cougar Blades Won't Engage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bowtie341, Aug 8, 2005.

1. bowtie341

bowtie341 LawnSite Member

I have a Scag Cougar with a 20 hp Kohler, and 48" deck. The blades will not engage. I have tried replacing the switch to engage the deck. Also, I have traced the wires to examine for broken insulation or disconnections. Using a test light I have found that both wires on the clutch are producing a ground. I traced the wires back to the fuse on that line and it is producing a ground as well. Are the wires on the clutch supposed to be grounds, or hot, or one of each ?? Any help would be appreciated!!!

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about a scag, but on my lazer hp, the white wire is a ground (connects to the engine stud) and the yellow is a hot wire, that is connected to a fuse.

3. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

If you're using a test light with it's lead connected to B+ and touching the clutch wires then YES the clutch is "producing ground". One terminal of the clutch is grounded. Since the clutch coil is continuous, the other lead of the clutch will appear to be grounded too.

Connect your test light lead to ground then check both sides of the fuse. Also check the + side of the clutch. If your test light turns on, you're getting power to the clutch. If not, there's a break in the line somewhere.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The wires are "one of each". Colors may varier from machine to machine but one wire is ground (NEG) and one is hot (POS). Is the PTO any good? Try this , unplug the PTO and take a battery and hook direct to the PTO wires and see if you hear it click. If you do hear the click is is working. Now is the clutch the adjustable or non-adjustable type? If it is adjustable it needs to be set to .010(10 thousandths) to .012 (12 thousandths) of an inch. You really need 3 feeler gages (one in each slot) to really get it just right. You can do it with only one but it take 3 times as long. Now the wires coming from the machine need to be checked as well. First check the wires from wire to wire to see if you have power. If you do not then check one wire then the other with reference to battery ground to see which on is hot (POS) and if if is working then check the wires with reference to battery POS to see if you have ground. Where a lot of people mess up is they check one for the HOT at the plug with reference to the frame and they see the have the hot but lose track of the ground side. A lot of mowers run the hot direct to from the PTO switch to the PTO but run the ground for the PTO though the safety switches. So when the safety switches are tripped or malfunction you still have POS at the plug but lose the ground. So remember to check for both the POS and NEG at the plug.