Scag Cougar Info Opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AdamChrap, Mar 24, 2008.

1. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for a mower to bag (mostly for leaves). I have a walker but it is beat up bad as in my opinion they are built real light. The scag cougar seams to be built strong and I have a chance to get one cheap. Anyone have and experience with one? Do you like it? It is a 48" and it says it bags and side discharges. Is that something you can do on the go or do you have to remove a baffle or something? Thanks in advance

4767621.jpg

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got on and it gets the job done........change over for side discharge to mulch to bag isn't too bad since the deck flips up. It is a couple wrench deal and change of one baffle. You wouldn't want to do it several times daily. Blade speed isn't high like these new units so you have to keep blades real sharp but with 25hp it does okay. The bagging aspect of it works fine it has a pretty big blower. I can run along side my used walker and cut and bag rye pretty well.....usually scag does a little better. Knock on wood but we brought ours from Tru-green after scag had them test it for one year. We have had it about 7 years and no major problems.

3. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

So would you say it does a comparable job to the walker?

4. uniquechev

uniquechev LawnSite Member

nooooooo i've used a walker and cougar and i found that the cougar is alot faster then the walker but the deck scalps alot !!! its alot faster then the walker though and the deck is really heavy compared to the walker is less heavy . and that goes for changing the height and flipping up the deck i would go with a walker over the cougar

5. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

If it was good--it would still be in production. It did not fly well--it died--move on to a real mower---

6. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

We bought one a few years ago for mowing cemeteries. We replaced a leaking mower gear box under warranty. The main pulley off of the crank came loose several times. There were some issues with the hydraulic drive system, not quite sure what it was, but the motor blew up last summer. That had to be attributed to the poorly trained summer help, the lack of regular maintenence etc.. They never checked the radiator screen and probably overheated the unit one too many times. I remeber our local dealer thought that the machines had a reputation for breaking down. I personally liked how it operated and thought that it was built very solid. If it was taken care of or abused makes all of the difference no matter what brand you buy, since I have had nearly every single major brand of machine break from poor assembly, abuse, wear and tear, "metal fatigue"....

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

No it is not as good as a Walker but.........it is good enough for the price. If I wanted to side discharge, mulch, and bag with a Walker I would have to buy $4500 of decks but I would get a perfect quality... On the Cougar you can convert. It is not as good as the Exmark Navigator but they didn't try to develop it since they realized there is little market. I am afraid Navigator will have tough going against Walker.