Scag Cougar Pics

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Mikegyver, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

I had one. Cut great when it worked. It just spent more time in the shop then out on the job.
    Engine locked up and had to sell it for $500. It did good work:cry:.

2. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually theres quite a few out there. The dealer that I got this from (used) sold dozens of them.
    I paid 2700 for it...is that a good deal? 400 hrs.
    mike

3. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, theres alot of scag cougars still around alright, I see them at traffic lights, cell phones and lipstick.

4. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

What did we do to deserve this.:cry:

Any more jokes like this and I'll take two in the cap.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Hour meter broke on mine but probably over 2000 I bought if from TruGreen who was testing it for the company. Does you unit pull even in the reverse direction going up the ramp? If so then you like got a problem in the linkage that is sticking. Sitting for a long time might cause that.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Almost every mower manufacturer, no matter how good they are, have a few engineering disasters now and then. For Scag, the poorly thoughtout designs and lack of complete field testing of the Cougar and Turf Runner machines, was their biggest goof up to date. It is no telling how much these two machines cost the company in warranty costs and unrecovered engineering and production costs.
    The problems of these two machines were well documented "way back when" on this forum, as well as other places.
    It will likely be a long time, if ever, before Scag tries their hand at another Walker wannabe.

7. Mikegyver

Need to check that...good question! Which linkage do I need to check? The thing of it is that as soon as I changed the fluid it went away...about 30 minutes of running later it started pulling again.
    mike

8. ArenaLandscaping

ArenaLandscaping LawnSite Member

Tracking Adjustments for Scag Cougar
    Pages 23-25 http://www.scag.com/OpManuals/SCR/2002SCROPMAN/2002SCROPMANcomplete.pdf

9. Mikegyver

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When you pull back on the hydro lever that is a direct linkage so there isn't any binding. However when you slide the speed control forward those levers are spring load loaded forward so if something is keeping them from rotating that would be a problem. I guess you checked the bleeders. Did you jack the unit up and run it for a pretty long time to get all the air out? I would guess those hydro or drive motor is having a problem adjusting to the running after sitting for such a long time.