Scag Cougar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DW lawn service, Feb 13, 2002.

1. DW lawn service

DW lawn service LawnSite Member

I am considering purchasing a Scag Cougar 48" with 25 hp Kohler and wondered what other opinions are on this machine?

2. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

From last year the opinion seemed to be look at a Walker also.
    I am considering this type. Others are the Toro and Bobcat Z100
    Ed.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Its too big and bulky for the size of cut. The best part that I like is the deck with 3 blades.

Gene

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We demoed one this summer for 3 days, We own mostly Walker mowers for years and I guess I got to use to them and was terribly unhappy with the Scag! This mower is really bulky compaired to our Walkers and the one we had was no faster. Like I said we just couldnt get use to the- BIG- difference in the mowers. Im not saying there bad just couldnt get use to them! They do have an awsome feature dicharge, mulch and bag all in one deck!!! Thats an AWSOME feature!

5. I bought a 48" ZTR to trim with. Sold it before it got dirty.
    No deck overhang makes trimming terrible.
    A Walker in this size would trim much better 'cause it's a front mount.

Dave

6. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

Hey DW, excelent post.... just the one I was looking for. My reply may not help, but maybe clear up any q's w/ other mower options. I too am considering a 48" compact bagger purchase this year... and it's come down to the cougar vs the walker.
    Last season I had the chance to demo a 25hp walker, a grasshopper 52" front mount, and a bobcat 42", all for a week. The GH was great as far as bagging/side discharge, but tore up the grass and sucked on even small hills, not to mention it's HUGE. The bobcat 42" was absolutely horrible, not even an option. But the walker was an awesome machine. It had everything I was looking for (quality of finish cut, great vaccuum, size) except one very important thing: versatility. I absolutely NEED a machine that I can use on all or most of my accounts, and about 35% of them dont require grass collection. If I am going to invest almost 10g's on a mower I am not going to be parking it on the trailer or spending the $$ on a different deck.
    On paper the cougar looks like the one to own, especially w/ the 52" deck option. But need more input from LANDSCAPER3, and others who have used both... was the cougars cut and vaccuum comparable to that of the walkers? Is its size really that much of an issue?
    Thanks for any more info fellas-

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

hoagie:

Check out the Hustler Z with the Bac-Vac unit. You can pull the vac unit off with only 4 pins and have a side discharge unit. I have run a Walker for 4 years now and I consider it a dedicated catcher unit. I bought a 62" deck for it that works great but is a real pain to change and only worth it if you can leave it on for the whole day. There are some on here that say different, but . I demoed a Hustler last year and hope to have one this year.

Gene

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Beware of the Cougar. Somewhere in the past there have been many posts about what an undependable lemon these Walker look-a-likes are. I do not own one, but the posts do not paint a pretty picture!!! So far, no one has successfully copied the Walkers.:)