1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Cougar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FELPRO, Aug 8, 2003.

FELPRO LawnSite Member

I'd Like some feedback on issues relating to Scag Cougars. I have some Contractors using them and I'd like to know what problems other users may have had.
  2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Just picked one up about a month and a half ago. I'm pleased with it but there are some things you should know.

First, the blades are set up the exact opposite of other mowers, with the cutting edge being on the back side of where it is on the normal blades. So the blade and the foil have swapped places. It spits towards the left, instead of the right and the bolts/nuts that retain the blades are reverse threaded.

Second, it really doesn't do all that well on the hills. If you have a lot of hills that you have to deal with, I would reconsider. If it gets the slightest slant uphill, the uphill tire will begin to spin and the whole mower will point uphill. The opposite of the midmount tiger cub that I have.

It does a great job of vacuuming and I really have to say that it's brought my expectations of what a finished product should look like up a bit. I think Scag's still running a special on them, depending on the dealer, of course. I got the 25 HP LC Kawasaki with the 52 inch deck. Regular $11,750. Sale $8,500. ;)