1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Cougar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GOJO's Lawn Svc, Sep 9, 2004.

1. GOJO's Lawn Svc

GOJO's Lawn Svc LawnSite Member

We are looking to purchase a bagging mower and have been told to check out the Scag Cougar. Any information on these will be very useful. How well do they compare to other baggers. We are still open to any suggestions, but have had very good luck with our Scag Tiger Cub so far.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

By any chance do you use their 3 in one deck? Scags aren't very popular here, see lots of Walkers and Exmarks. I wanted to know if Scags mulch well from the factory. As for the Cougar I'd like to see what people have to say about it as well.
  3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Can't speak for the cougar I have the tiger with the 3 bagger that does a pretty good job I just ajusted some things on this mower and added a roller for stripes.
  4. GOJO's Lawn Svc

GOJO's Lawn Svc LawnSite Member

We have got a Tiger Cub and it will hang with anything else around here. We have done clean-ups that dixie's and husq.'s won't do. We need a bagging mower, as we are getting into leaf season and are leaning toward the cougar, but wanted to know some of the pros and cons of the machine.
  5. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

We have been watching them on eBay. I have not talked to anyone who uses one yet. In the next month or so I would like to pick a Cougar or a Walker.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We like our Scag Cougar....we mulch in summer and bag rye in winter. Our unit is 3 years old and we haven't had any major problems. The unit is built like a tank...consequently heavy in the trailer.
  7. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

Personally, I've heard some terrible things about the Cougar. Walker owns the market on that style of mower. When I was first purchasing a rider, the guys at my mower shop said it was a complete POS. In fact, he knew of two landscapers that were selling their's because they hated it. Could have picked up a "demo" for real cheap. I've never been on one, but I trust the guys at my shop...they've been doing business with us for the past 20 yrs and wouldn't steer us wrong. We now own two Exmark Lazers and couldn't be happier. We have the UltraVac on one, all year round...the other for side discharge.
  8. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Stripe This:

Gosh, I wonder why "the guys at your shop" would say that about a Scag Cougar ? Hmmmm!

Overall The Cougar was a very strong, very fast mower. It was a Walker on steroids !

The good things it had were :
    1. Very very good overall construction. Every thing about it is made top notch.

2. The Scag mower deck that could convert from side discharge to mulcher to bagger in just a few minutes was easier and far less expensive than having to buy , transport, and change 3 whole mower decks for each type of cutting, as is needed on a Walker.

3. The Scag deck was very deep, and consequently it could handle deep grass or leaves with less tendency to bog down the engine, and less trouble with plugging up.

4. It had a very high ground speed for this type of machine, and again it worked because the mower deck had sufficient depth to handle the clippings so the unit wasn't held back by a mower or vac chute that is always on the verge of plugging up.

The things that weren't so good about it were :

1. It was too expensive to build. The standard Turf Tiger or Tiger Cub were far less complicated and with the developement of clam shell bagging systems that worked as well as the Cougars bagger there was less reason to keep on making a machine like the Cougar.

2. It had a narrow wheel base compared to the Turf Tiger, and along with the vac tank causing the weight center to rise - it could not be as stable on hillsides as a standard designed Z turn.

3. The wheel speed was so fast, and the control sticks probably needed heavier buffer shocks - anyway the controls could be really touchy, and it was easy to get the machine to buck and bounce untill you learned to soften your touch on the control sticks. A Walker is much easier to control, since it has a lower wheel speed, and isn't nearly as critical about any little false move you make with the control sticks.

4. The Cougar was a BIG machine. It was taller and longer than a Walker. I think that this type machine is used a lot on smaller residential properties, and that the smaller dimentions of the Walker may be easier to fit and manuever in these places.

Anyway Scag quit making the Cougar over a year ago, and I think it's too bad. There were some things that needed to be corrected about it, but on the whole it was the fastest, toughest, badest mower of it's design type there ever was ! - and it's 3 way mower was brilliant compared to having to haul 3 mower decks around and change them.
  9. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a cougar earlier this year, looking for a bigger, faster walker, and I liked the way it was built. I like scag spindles. I found the cut to be comparable to my tiger cub, but not as good as my walker. Also it was not as nimble in tight places as my walker, and harder to hold a straight line. But it was very comfortable to ride, both I think due to its weight. It did hold hills better than I expected, and I think it would have made a great leaf catcher. I did not buy it because I heard they were being discontinued and the clamshell bagger on the tiger cub would do the same job for less money. I was sorry to see it though because I think the 3 way deck was a good idea. I think the couger got a bad reputation from turf runner that preceded it.
  10. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

I bought a scag turf runner when they came out with one. I had night mares with this.
    So, I bought a scag cougar. The first six months everything work fine. Then after the six months of running fine turn into trouble everyday.
    The shaft that runs the blade kept getting out of tune. The dealer that i bought this from had night mares fixing it. The motor went bad after one year and the Kolher man said it was gettin to much dust, so all i got was a short block, Then after six months that motor went bad. The parts are too high.
    I still have the cougar and I use it only on three lawns out of 75,,Its paid for.
    I use nothing but exmark now and their bagger are great. I will never buy another cougar. The other scag mowers are real good