1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag Cub 52" vs. Exmark Lazer HP 52"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MLK8704, Aug 10, 2004.

?

Please vote for your preference

1. Exmark 52" Lazer HP 23hp Kawasaki

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Scag 52" Tiger Cub 23hp Kawasaki

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Scag 52" Tiger Cub 24hp Honda

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MLK8704

MLK8704 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thinking about trading my current mower for either a Scag 52" Tiger Cub with 23hp Kaw or 24hp Honda or a eXmark 52" Lazer HP with 23hp Kaw. Price isn't an issue really. Scag dealer here is awesome on service. Exmark is ok, haven't dealt with them alot though so i don't know.

Please don't just post and say "my Scag is better or my eXmark is better" thats no good. we all brag on our machines. i want to know why you think it's better. try to sell me on one over the other.

Things that matter to me:
    Cut quality
    Striping
    Ride comfort
    Handling/Performance
    Hill-holding
    Good design- well built, strong components,
    Simplicity/easy to work on and maintain
    Reliable and durable
    Fast cutting speed
    Good company support
    Parts interchangability

Thank you in advance. This is my first post but I've been looking on here a while. seem like a great group and i am sure i'll learn alot.

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i vote for the lazer but i am biased :) the cut on the lazer is awesome with or without the mulch kit. striping should be good with most mowers, more grass dependant than mowers. the exmark offers a suspension seat but i get by just fine with the stock. performance is awesome, almost 1000 hours on it now. holds a hill great, find 65hoss and ask him about hills on lazer HP's. he has some pics too. great design, great factory support (check the exmark forum out here under the manufacturers forums). you can actually get them to compare their machines to any others that they have info and tell you why you should by theirs. demo demo demo.

3. MLK8704

MLK8704 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks. I do love eXmark cut but i'm experiencing bad problems with my current machine's dealer (none of the above brands) and i've realized why a good dealer is important. i know that you can't get better than my Scag dealer that is why i'm leaning toward them. They look like a very simple and open machine, easy to work on.

4. MikeLT1Z28

i can't offer an opinion on scag so i won't even try to go into that, plenty of others on here can though.

5. ive owned them both...
    easier to maintain -scag cub
    Lazer stripes better ..
    well built --tiger cub is built like a tank much more heavy.
    hill holding ...tit for tat
    ride comfort-tiger cub by a hair
    cutting speed about the same ..cub is 10.0 lazer hp is 9.5
    handling -tiger cub
    company support exmark

reliable ..tit for tat

cut quality .tiger cub

6. MLK8704

MLK8704 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks Odin, thats what i'm looking for, a very fair evaluation! So you'd pick Scag if the dealer is lots better than eXmark?
    Thanks

7. MikeLT1Z28

oh, welcome to the site by the way.

8. MLK8704

MLK8704 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thank you Mike. thanks for replying.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a tiger cub and like it very well. What sold me on it was the dealer and the ease of servicing it, oil change , belt change, and plenty of grease fittings. I never have owned an Exmark so I cant comment on them

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Don't own a scag. Not looking at them either. I have bought 2 new 52"HP eXmark Lazers since 2000. I have staked my business to some degree on eXmark. Cutting is over 1/2 of my business and all mowers are eXmarks. The factory support is second to none. I can pick up the phone and call the toll free number and talk with them anytime. The cut quality is great, customers love the finished look of their properties. In 5 seasons running eXmarks I have had very very few down times. My machines have spent lots of time making me money.

Using a Z is part machine and part operator. The best possible machine in the hands of a moron is just an ok setup.

Make the dealer part of your concern, but demo both units on YOUR properties to see what you like and think is best. There is not ONE perfect mower for everyone. People, properties, and business are different. Weigh all options before you sink that kind of money.