1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

SCAG "Cub"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by turfwrangler, May 18, 2006.

1. turfwrangler

turfwrangler LawnSite Member

My number one choice is a Tiger Cub, there are so many z-turns out there I can't decide which one to go with. Everyone claims to be the best and oldest mower in the industry, what is a good choice mower to go with.
  2. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Have had exmark Lazer Z's since they came out, have always been good. Currently we have 5. 25hp, 60in. cut.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have used Scag mowers of various models including a 48" Cub and these units are rock solid reliable. Since we cut the same kind of grass that you do I don't think you will have any problem with the cut. Some guys that do stripping need special machines, but I noticed that Scag has a new stripping feature for the Cub. The machine will last you many years.
  4. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i run scags, i do have a problem with my wb kohler motor, but i never had a real problem with my ztr's, and i never once thought of a stripe kit, they stripe great out of the box. i run gator blades on all of them., the only thing i would say to do if you get the advantage deck, is adjust the deck baffle so that its in the up position this will help with blowout in wet grass
    other then that great machines
  5. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

I have a buddy that has a tiger cub and has had problems with a spring breaking on a regular basis. I'm not sure which one exactly, I just hear him complaining that scag knows about the design flaw and won't fix it...other than that, i have heard good things.

I have a kubota ZG23 54" cut. The thing I like about Kubota is the deck is shaft driven. There is one belt on the whole mower. It is easy to grease and has the reinforced deck. Great ride and 23 horse Kohler is easy to service. The front end jack is great for blade service or cleanups. Hope this helps.

6. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

I LOOKED AT THE KUBOTA not to put your mower down because i really liked it, but i thought the deck was a little thin. it looks like you could bend it real easy. but im just going from looks, the one i looked at had the front tilt deck, very nice, easy to change blades, and saves alot of room on the trailer..
  7. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

i have a scag ultimate walkbehind with 2000 hours. Clutch was replaced twice and then engine was just replaced. No other problems.
  8. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

I don't take offense to mower criticism at all. Kubota does have 2 different decks. The ZG23 has the heavier reinforced deck where as the ZD18 has the lighter deck. You have to go with a 21 to get the heavy deck. They are all good machines compared to a non-commercial mower though.