Scag cutting deck pictures.... by request from Envy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is the cutting deck on my new 61 inch Wildcat with the velocity plus deck.

Mower has 11.2 hours on it since new and has cut dry and wet lawns, Crabgrass infested lawns and fescue lawns etc.... I have not scrapped the deck or sprayed any kind of anti stick spray under there. The deck has little build up at all, and I can tell you that no other mower I have used - besides the Everride I demoed - would have had this little amount of build up after cutting the 52 lawns I cut with it since I got it last tuesday.

This deck is great, cuts great, could not be happier!!!!

100_0841.JPG

2. Rons Rightway Lawncare

More pictures of the underside of the deck

100_0842.JPG

100_0843.JPG

100_0844.JPG

3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

When you get time :confused: , take some more photos of the entire machine. I love looking at new stuff. :weightlifter: :weightlifter: :usflag:

Nevermind - I just so your other thread of your mods.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have John Deere 7 Iron decks that have well over a 1000 hrs on them and never have been scraped, nothing sticks to them. No paint left under the deck either.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks,

This is what I was really looking for and finally got to see well.

[​IMG]

That discharge opening is really large.
    Partly because the new deck has a straighter angle in front from the center out.
    Partly because it also has the opening cut back into the curved section in the rear.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Now, with that said, understand that I am THRILLED with my Lesco Command Cut deck.... and I really liked some things about the Great Dane Gen II deck also.

All of them share a cutout that extends back into the curve which peaks my interest, and had me wanting to see more of the Scag.

Now, between the Lesco and the Scag, at the rear of the opening, my cutout doesn't go back that far. It is also a consistant angle / and the removeable turbo baffle is also angled to match the angle of the opening, which I find is unique.

Anyways, if you look ahead of the dirty area, you can see the angle of the opening.

clean opening.jpg

7. Envy Lawn Service

Wait, you can see it better here and also realize these mowers are a challenge to make an OCDC for that will seal up the opening.

[​IMG]

8. Envy Lawn Service

Now let me say again that I am happy with this deck's performance.
    But I have noticed a few things that are not optimum when considering an OCDC.

#1- Don't know if it is the opening shape or the vacuum of the deck, but it does have a 'suck-back' at the rear of the opening. When using it as a blower to blow off a hard surface, if you get too close to the clippings it will actually pull some back in and drop them back in your path... especially if you are running over clippings going forward.

#2- Can't just use a flat plate for an OCDC plate... must be curved.

#3- My turbo baffle is HUGE. It is restrictive and causes drag in really really heavy cutting conditions when the deck is moving a high volume of material out. It would probably also need to be removed for best results with a closed OCDC.

#4- When it is removed, power is really freed up in harsh conditions. But clippings will bridge across the rear of the discharge mouth, and sometimes to the point a clump will fall off there.

You can see that here after some EXTREME cutting without the turbo baffle.

8 12 z2.jpg

9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

what is a ocdc?

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member