Scag Deck Bolt Adjustment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RobH, Jun 30, 2004.

1. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I saw a post here the other day regarding Scag and adjustment of the deck on a w/b. I know that they offer 3 height settings for the deck.

If you raise the deck (by the bolts) and add more spacers to the blade so that the blade is closer to the ground, wouldn't it just be easier to just remove some spacers from the blade to raise the blade and get the same results? It would save the work of having to unbolt the deck.

Or does it effect the vacuum of the blades or discharge based on where the blades are situated underneath the deck? In other words, you want to keep the blades lower within the deck itself.

I know you can also adjust the height with the spacers on the front casters as well, keeping in mind the 1/4" downward pitch to achieve the best cutting results.

2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. What your saying seem to be correct. I remember when I set up my deck and blades to cut at 3" I had to adj the deck height in order to get the 1/4" pitch. I found it to be a PITA. Once you get it right you can use the spacers on the blades to move up or down. I have use the spacers on the front to get the deck up a 1/4" (in a rush) and it didn't seem to change the cut quality much. Just follow the diretions in the Operator's Manual.
    Bill