1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag deck problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ho5tile, May 15, 2006.

1. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

I just got a new (06) turf tiger 61" with 27hp koler and clam shell bagger. I need advice on a couple of things. First when I am in less than lush grass I swear this thing discharges more from the front of the deck (in my face) than it does from the discharge side. I have two "baffle things" that came with the machine one for the bagger and one for no bagger. I have tried every setting for both "baffles" but I still have a small tornado in front of me. any help will be much appreciated. Next when I remove the bagger, blower, weights I dont have any traction. should I think of adding weight to the rear?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had this on a couple of different mowers and the first thing to do is make sure that the deck is pitched meaning that the front of the deck is actually lower then the rear all mower decks need to have some kind of pitch
    to help create a vacuum effect under the deck. First park your mower on a flat level patch of concrete and with the mower off(please):rolleyes: move your blade by hand so that one of the blade ends is at the front of the deck and the other at the rear then take a measurement from the tip to the ground in the front and the rear there should be a 1/4 difference the rear measurement should be higher if its the same this could be causing your problem also make sure that you do not have lots of cut grass built up under the deck this will also drop the amount of space the deck has to create the vacuum effect. Hope that helps with the deck part the weight issue I am not sure thats a big mower and I cant imagine not having enough traction I guess I may need some more info on what conditions you are cutting in(wet,hills,canal banks etc.)
  3. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

does this Scag have the advantage deck with the custom cut baffle ? If so you might ned to either raise it up or lower it down sorta a pain to do as you have to take all the bolts out that hold it on then move it to the position that you want also on the discharge chute at the back of the chute open is a piece of metal that is attached by 2 bolts and nuts 1 through the side and the other through the top of the deck I took mine off completely as I ws getting the dust bath from the front also My dealer said that they were moving the plate to the back as far as possible and re drilling holes for the bolts to me it was eaiser to take it off . I loved the older decks I have a 99 model which is a 72" advantage deck and love it wish that thye had not changed the design My new Scag Saber Tooth seems lighter than my 99 model to me the front on the new machine wants to come off the ground easier than the 99 model
  4. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tip MowerMedic77 I will check the "pitch" this evening. As for the cutting condititons this is a personal mower for my four acres which was probably a cow pasture in a previous life. Its in north east Ga. generaly rolling land, no steep hills or embankments or any thing and usally dry when cutting. I have noticed that if one of the front wheels is on any kind of "hump" as small as say 2 or 3 inches above the rest of the lawn, the rear tire on that side has no traction at all. It simply slides when I try to use it to slow that side to start a turn, or spins if I try to start a turn from a stand still with that side. The reasoning behind my weight idea (which may be dumb) comes from looking at the sabers with the bigger engines. I notice they have roughly 6" added to the rear of the machine for the bigger motor. The front half (in front of the drive wheels) looks the same as mine. wouldn't more hanging behind the drive wheels and the same up front mean lighter front end and easier to turn?
  5. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

Yes twj721, I have the advantage/coustom cut set up I'm cutting on the 3.5" setting I have tried all the baffle adjustments but not this "peice of metal" you talked about. I was wondering if I should have removed it when I removed all the bagger stuff though. I'll give it a shot thanks. I also removed the plastic spout from the discharge. Im also glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks working on this deck is a pain. how do you raise yours to work on it? Ramps, jacks,ect. I have a 2.5 ton hoist in the shop I was thinking of winching this thing up on its end much like the old snapper comets what do you think?
  6. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a chain hoist hanging from the metal ceiling that I use I hook the hook in frt end raise it up wish I had a whole machine lift sure would beat having to crawl around on the concrete but this will work for me Good luck. Twj
  7. LawnGuyFromTheFuture

LawnGuyFromTheFuture LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I have a Tiger Cub 2006... The new high velocity decks are the problem...
    Mine blows out the fron also... Scag tried to increase the air flow but obviously they got something wrong... If you find a solution plase let me know.