1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Deck Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Aug 2, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

It looks like I'll probably be the new owner of 2005 Scag Wildcat pretty soon. Trouble is, I noticed that the 52" deck does not have a center anti-scalp roller? Has anybody had any problems with the deck just hanging out there like that?

I ask because I current have mower that does have a roller there it it seems like...well...it should be there.
  2. dog245

dog245 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I own 2 STC w/48" decks. I have had no problem without the center ASW. The 48's and 52's don't need the center ASW because of the deck width's. I run both mine with the ASC's in their highest position and feather the deck by raising manually by foot when I encounter holes or mounds. I'm confident you will be extremely pleased with your new Scag.
  3. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" cub, I never seen any problem with it.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder what they thinking is also, we have two Scags with 48" decks and they have anti scalp roller on both sides, and in front and back.
  5. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 48WB with rollers in the middle, and a 52 tiger cub with no middle roller. I don't really notice any difference. Never dug anything out because I didn't have a center roller.
  6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Thanks guys.

I have been mowing for three years with a Lazer HP with the rollers in the middle so going to something a little diff is made me uneasy.

Seems like I can cross this one off my worry list! :waving:
  7. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I have yet to scalp at the center of the deck... The most common place I scalp is at the right side by the chute
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im with the rest, I have a 48'' deck and no problems , an ocasional side scalp if I really get the mower in a bad spot that it shouldnt be to start with lol
  9. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

highgrass, I am also in the market for the wildcat and asked the same question. I have emailed scag about this as well and they said it is simply not necessary. Why are you switching from the lazer hp? I am trying to decide on the hp 23/52 or the wildcat 25/52. I am a scag fan, but many here run exmarks. What are your thoughts, why the switch to scag?
  10. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

And you guys with the wildcats, what made you go that way and how do you like the 25/52 combo. These damn ztr machines are expensive, i dont want to make the wrong choice. Thanks