Scag deck release lever

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ztman, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

They probably set your height adjustment to correspond to actual blade height (3" on indicator = 3" cut height). When I done my Turf Tiger I had the same problem. My issue was caused because I was running too low rear tire pressure causing me to have to adjust the deck height too much to compensate.

Check your adjusting rod near the deck height pins (one that connects to foot pedal). It will need to be adjusted so you can lock the deck in transport position. If it is like a TT deck, the rear of the deck is hitting the deck stop keeping it from locking in the up position. Easy to fix yourself.

2. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

You are right Blad Runner. The spindle covers are hitting the frame. I adjusted the rod to get it to lock, but it threw the cut height off by 3/4 of an inch. I am going to let the dealer adjust since they are the ones that screwed something up when it was in for service.

3. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Check tire pressure before you take it in for service. Too low tire pressure will cause you to adjust the deck until it won't lock in up position.

Even when I was set at proper tire pressure, adjusting my deck to cut at the actual indicator height made it hard to lock into transport position. My deck was 1/2" off from the factory from the start.

I recommend going to the Scag site and d/l the manual for your mower. It has step by step instructions for adjusting deck height, level, and pitch. It's not a cakewalk but not rocket science either.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you could also try removing the spindle covers.

I always take them off of my ztr mowers. all they do is trap stuff around the spindle like pinecones, leaves, pinestraw, grass, etc. etc. and it is constantly rubbing on the belt while you mow.

take them off and you can easily blow it all out after you mow each yard to keep all of that crap out of there. :)

5. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Weeze. Since the mower is still under warranty its going back to the dealer. Everything was working when I took it to them the first time and I am a little disturbed that I got the mower back in worse condition than I left it. I think some rocket scientist tried to move the mower using a fork lift and bent something because they were too lazy to get the key

6. jamesbmac

jamesbmac LawnSite Member

OK, this an old post, but I thought I'd reply just in case someone else has this issue. The wife washed the mower (she cut the grass too) and reversed the spindle covers when putting them back on. There's a cut out on the back of the spindle covers so they don't hit the deck, thereby allowing the deck height necessary to lock the lever in place. A simple swap did the trick. We have a 2015 Scag Cheetah 61" Kawi non-efi. Just got it new. Good mower so far. Replaced a Toro Z-Master and Exmark Lazer-Z.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

after my mower was rained on one day the release lever stopped moving on it's own when i would push the pedal down with my foot. you had to push the foot pedal down and then pull the lever to make it lock instead of it happening automatically. the problem was the spring getting wet. i just sprayed a little wd-40 on it and that freed it up and it started working like it was supposed to. whenever your mower gets wet you will have to spray wd-40 on the spring of the lever arm or else you will have to manually move the lever when you push the foot pedal down in order to lock it in the up position.

as for the spindle covers hitting that doesn't make sense. there are 2 bump stops on the front of the frame underneath that would hit the top of the deck before the spindle covers would hit the frame. i know because you can lift the deck all the way with your foot pedal and the bump stops hit first before anything else.

when in the up locked position there is still an inch or two between the bump stops and the top of the deck. if not then your deck is way out of adjustment and not close to the height of cut you select.