Scag decks- old style or new Advantage?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, May 13, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Which do you prefer and for what reasons? A friend's brother runs 18 old style Scag w/b's and says he does not like the Advantage deck because it packs up and misses stuff. I have the old style and don't like it much because it doesn't cut well in tall grass or at high speeds and doesn't have good airflow/suction. I'm thinking about making baffles similar to Advantage deck baffles. This should help airflow/suction, cut quality at higher speeds and cutting taller grass. I've seen Jimbo's pics with his Advantage deck equipped Scag Tiger Cub 52" and my old style decks can't touch that quality of cut in that high of conditions, and leave that little clippings. List your preference and why.
    Thanks.

2. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I love the advantage deck. I have both styles old and advantage. I don't use the old style much anymore cuz they don't cut as good. The advantage deck cuts tall grass better, shoots out grass way better with no clumps, and lastly the motor doesn't work as hard with advantage decks. I replaced my 61" old style deck with the advatage deck also.

3. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I Love my Advantage deck it cuts bahia grass like there is no tomorrow. I have not found another mower that cuts that bahia like that deck does.

4. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

ive run em both to and the advantage has the advantage as far as im concerned.Standard is alright on a 36 but for the 48's and up the advantage is the better deck.
    And grass doesnt build up under the advantage deck as much as the standard does.

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Eric: I have an old syle with baffles, looks like the Advantage deck

also using Flailmaster blades sharpened to center. Cut well today

in high wet grass. Ed

6. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

I have the old stlye on a 61" turf tiger, 22 lc running scag high lifts, and have never had a problem with bluegrass,Wet or dry. The key to airflow might be to have the deck pitch set correctly. Clippings depend on how much you cut off at a time, but never seem to be a problem.

Congrats on the new mower.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

There are 3 types of "Classic" decks that I know of.

The differences are all in the front trim side corner.

1) Extended front corner.

2) Slightly retracted front corner, but still angular.

3) Full rounded trim side (similar to a DC deck)

Then there is the Advantage Decks.

I had #1 and now have a #2 but would really like a #3.

Why?....

Trimmability.

All these nice cutting decks space the front trimside edge of the deck AWAY from the blade sweep. I like to be able to go up to a post, nudge it, and wrap around it. This all but eliminates trimming. The Advantage deck spaces the front deck skirt out even further! :confused:

I really dont understand this practice. :rolleyes:

RIght now, I'm happy with what I got. I rarely use it. Only gets used 3x's a week. Heck I only have 488 hrs on it!

8. Exmark--------> TriVantage <----------

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ha! Not anytime soon.......... sorry bud I got Scags right now. Would be hard to make the switch at this point in the game. Would like to have this one though!
    72" Exmark Lazer 27hp Kohler

may12#23.jpg

10. I saw the thread with the new(used) STHM (sp)........