1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag, Deere, Exmark, R U sold on the name?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Grass, Mar 8, 2005.

1. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I dont want to make anyone mad here, but it seems to me, that the Scag, or Deere, or Exmark owners for the most part, turn a blind eye to any other manufacturer. I always look for the best, most kick A** piece of equipment being manufactured, and in my area, there are others that seem to way outperform. I think if you took every piece of equipment, and painted them all purple, and place no name on them, where the Demo would be "blind tested", all 3 of the above would likely NOT be picked even by their most dedicated supporters. Now, I know Scag, Deere, Exmark makes great stuff, but I think there is better, and 60 percent of the users have not Demoed anything else. If I am way off base, well, kick my A** in this thread! Are the above mentioned users color blind?
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Not color blind, we just know what works and aren't interested in a stable full of eclectic has beens without available parts.

Most kick a**???
    Hmm, we're ordering an Exmark XS tommorow. It's got some arse kicking abilities in my opinion.
  3. David Grass

So, Wright, Walker, Toro, Hustler, Dixie Chopper, Cub Cadet, etc. are eclectic has beens??????????????????
  4. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

But you suggest that ALL major manufacturers have blind loyalty.
    Not so for most of us, we just know what works for us.
  5. David Grass

I am only speaking from what I see in my area of the country, No, I think all the others DONT have blind loyalty, it seems that the other owners have tried a lot of mowers out, I only see it in Scag, Deere, and Exmark owners, and again, it is what I see around me here. Not bashing their product. Have you tried a lot of others out?
  6. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

I look for dealers anymore.I used Encore for several years but the dealer bailed
    and left me with 4 machines and nowhere to get parts but a crappy distributor .
    The factory could have cared less.Exmark and Toro are one and the same.I have not
    seen a well built Cub Cadet since they cheapened them up>Kubota is making some
    butt kickin machines.Some of the rest do not have dealers even close to me.
    Exmark,Skag,Kubota,John Deere(they were way late on the commercial bandwagon)
    all are close dealers so we deal with them.The rest I will look at if someone picks
    up their line!
  7. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

I've tried plenty and researched enough to understand what will work.
    There are plenty of quality commercial mowers available these days,like I said though, once a decision has been made to buy a certain brand why would I want three or four different manufacturers to buy parts from, get repairs done, etc., etc.

Also it has been mentioned, dealers tend to make a difference.
  8. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

It's like you stick with what's really working for you. I get mad at certain manufacturers and switch brands. All I really want manufacturers to do is admit their faults and fix them. My problem is I complain and they more or less tell me I'm off my rocker, then a couple years later they change.
    For example, started with Bunton, 48" flat across the front of the deck. It left streaks between the blades, we told Bunton there wasn't enough overlap and they denied that was the problem, although they wouldn't tell us what the problem was. The next year they overlapped with longer blades and moved the center spindle forward more. Deere has now changed their deck from the old thin stamped deck, I think Great Dane convinced them of that.
    Scag, IMO, had some bad years where quality started going down, my dealer stopped carrying them so I don't know where they stand.
    Now we have nothing but Exmark, we are happy and excited about them and haven't had abnormal problems, we have 12 now so it would be expensive this time to change.
    Is it the advancement it technology and we are at a time where everything is good, I don't know. I will be the first to admit, I do have blinders on. But, we have something that REALLY works, it's hard to even try something else.
  9. Mowmoregrass

Mowmoregrass LawnSite Member

No unsponsored advertisingJodi
  10. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

You are probably over an hour away but I love to shop for toys ,tell me more
    tell me more! :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:
    By the way,I have been buying Exmark lately ,and they are a good machine.
    I wanted to buy the redone Great Dane that Deere has ,but they are underpowering the stand on units and through their website told
    me I could not up the hp on certain units!