1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Doesnt Stripe Well Why??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sonandfather, Jun 12, 2002.

1. sonandfather

sonandfather LawnSite Member

Why doesnt our 61' scag and 52' stripe well and can I buy a attachment for or mower?? Let me know!!!
  2. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Are you running single blades or doubles?
    Are you running high lift, medium lift or gators?
    Is it an Advantage deck?

My Tiger Cub has an Advantage deck and it didn't stripe too well when I got it. So I added a home made chain kit on the back and that done the trick. It broke one day so I went and bought a set of double blades (gators on top and Scag high lifts on the bottom. It stripes really well now. I also found that having the deck about a 1/2" inche lower in the front really makes a difference too.
    Hope this helps.
  3. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I've been having the same problem with my 52' Turf Tiger with the advantage. Right now im running Doubles though they both are Scag high lifts, havent seen much of a difference in striping.
    Hey Hubb you running doubles with the chains or without?? Cause i dont know if i want to fool around with making a chain kit when doubles of Gators and High Lifts stripe better than what i have right now. I also have a question about lowering the front, wouldnt it scalp more in the front?? Cause your lowering it a 1/2inch, yeah i can see the gauge wheels would help some.
    All i can think of is that the problem lies in the Turf Tiger, i have a 52inch Scag WB with Advantage, the thing stripes beautifully.
    Any help on making the Turf Tiger stripe better is always appreciated.
  4. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

I have a Scag super Z 52" deck. It stripes GREAT. Compared to my new deere. I was scratching my head about it and then realized that my deeres deck is surved with the blades inthe back and the scag is more of a box construction. I think it makes a difference.
  5. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

61" TT stripes...standard and advantage deck with stardard blades.....

6. LawnSmith

one more for the record.....

7. LawnSmith

48" Scag walk behind...just to compare.

8. mikal

mikal LawnSite Member

how do you get your strips to go thru trees?
  9. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

That jpeg has got to be the best example of striping I've seen yet. Are you simply mowing in three directions, a different way each visit? Also, are you mowing with the front lower than the rear?
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

10. LawnSmith

mikal, the way i make it look like i mowed through a tree is pretty simple. i just mow right towards it, then mow right around it in a circle, then i continue on in the direction i was going once i complete the circle. now, until i come back by with another pass the opposite direction, you can still see the circle. but, once i come back by the tree the mower makes stripes right over the circle and you cant see it.
    its hard to explain but thats what works for me.

no, i only mow that particular property in 2 directions, the way its mowed in the pic, and the opposite direction to that(side to side). in the pic, that was like the 2nd or 3rd cut of the year so i hadnt mowed it any other direction except for that one.

edit: yes i have the deck pitch in the correct position according to scag's manual. also, there are a lot of stripes on here that look better than mine but thanks for the compliment.