1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag doubles users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by foxslawncare, May 3, 2002.

1. foxslawncare

foxslawncare LawnSite Member

Ran doubles for the first time today. Have scag 52" tt. What are you guys using as blades and what oreder when running doubleson scag?
  2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I know most members don't like gators in the spring, but ive been running the highlift standard marbain on bottom and mid-lift gators on top and have been doing great with this combination.. Marks Mowing Service
  3. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I always run gators on top and Scag high lifts on the bottom on my Tiger Cub. Works great for me.
  4. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

I tried putting doubles on my ssz. Really bogged the mower down. Seemed to me that it wasn't work the lost in power. Didn't cut any better. I used gators once . They cut like poop. Left little strips and what not. Now I run regular blades. I time them. one is horizontal.. next is vertical... next is horizontal. Works great for me.
  5. foxslawncare

foxslawncare LawnSite Member

right now I'm running gators on top, reg lift on bottom. Gonna switch with other blades to see what works best. I have the advantage deck I need to find what combination helps with striping. Advantage does not stripe well on my tt.
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I run doubles on my walkbehinds, but not on my 52 liquid cooled Tiger. I watched the temp gauge rise with doubles in heavy grass. I could be overly paranoid, but it was close to red, very close when in thick grass, or hilly conditions. It does not run near as hot with singles. My Tiger is not a great multcher, and with grass I did not notice much improvement. In leaves the doubles did a nice job. My best combo for doubles on grass would be standard lift, with a high lift at the shoot to launch the grass. I only run singles on her now, fearful of toasting a clutch or burning her up.

Anybody get gas in your oil? I must have a carb problem or something.

7. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

i dont run doubles year round but when i do its mulcher on top and standard lift on bottom. any double combo with a high-lift involved is too much strain on the motor in my opinion. even w/ a mulcher on top the vaccum is much, much greater than with 1 standard blade.
  8. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I'm with LawnSmith, standard on the bottom and gators on top .
    This combo works great , and as far as wearing out your cluch we've been running this setup for two seasons with out a problem.

Jerrys Lawn Service