scag driveshafts being replaced

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MIDSOUTH, Feb 13, 2001.

1. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

I recieved a letter stating that the cutter driveshaft in my turf tiger was not heat treated and they wanted to replaced it at n/c with a heat treated one. If anybody has a tiger that has wore the shaft out, you may want to check on this if you didn't get a letter.

2. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll ask my dealer.

What year is your Turf Tiger?

Also, I heard a rumor about seats being replaced by Scag on some Turf Tigers (but it was from a Grasshopper dealer.) Anybody heard about that?

3. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag 48 walker, and have money on a 61 inch turf tiger. Can anyone let me know how they like theirs. What kind of engine do you like. thanks

4. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

I gotta a Scag 61" Turf Tiger with a 25 HP Kohler. I have had absolutely no problems other than an occasional delay before the starter kicks in. Run it with high lift blades and get a nice cut with good striping. I'll qualify this with the fact I only put about 75 hrs a year on it. (Only my lawn.)

You'll find though that there's not alot of Scag lovers on this site. Most these folks live and die Dixie's and Exmarks. I like my Scag though. Built like a brick sh*t house.

5. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I touched on this subject in a post on 2/2/01 titled "2nd cut with new Z - review" if you're interested. I compared my demo drives of the TT with the LazerZ--one of my comments concerned the noise and vibration of the TT's driveshaft. I still don't understand the supposed advantages of a drive shaft/gearbox over the mule drive, but I love my new Lazer with the 27LC Kawasaki. Sorry, I don't know how to link you to my referenced post or I'd do it.

6. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I recieved my notice yesterday too. I have had the seat replaced too. No recall...It had a spring come loose in a rather well touchy area....I like my scags, the dealer is good too. Maybe its a southern Indiana thing?

7. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

We also got our recall notice and I took mine to the shop today. We found out that Scag had two different companys
    making the driveshafts one co. heated treated them and the
    other did not. The untreated are the ones with the problems.

Good Luck!
    jerryslawnservice@home.com

8. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

I just recieved my notice in the mail and will be taking it into the dealer this upcoming week.

BufalinoLand
    I have a 22 Kaw with the 61' deck. If I get another one it is going to be the tiger with 27 kaw. Always could use the extra power, but if you want to save money getting the 22kaw is still not a bad mower at all. there is about a 800$ price difference.

9. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

got my notice also....ck out a previous post i made "grasshopper & scag blues" (not smart enough to link you to it). anyway i have the 3rd shaft in my machine now (728 hrs) bet my dealer will tell me i've already been updated to heat treated....