Scag Dump Valve Issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mpm32, Oct 3, 2005.

1. mpm32

mpm32 LawnSite Member

I have a Scag 60" STHM. When I need to move it around in the garage forward of backward 3 ft or so, I'll use the dump valve. For the past couple of weeks it seemed to be lacking in power. Yesterday I pushed the dump valve further down toward drive and I had speed to spare. The problem is it won't stay in that position. Anyone have any ideas to fix this issue?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Our Scag pumps have screw threads and we have to unscrew it about a full turn to move unit. Then of course you screw it back in when you get the unit in position. You seem to be talking about some lever device?

3. mpm32

mpm32 LawnSite Member

Yes, there is a lever on my machine to open the dump valve. It doesn't seem to want to stay in the fully closed position. When I run it that way I have a loss of speed until I push the lever down with my foot. That's how I figured out my speed loss was due to the lever/valve.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got that kind on Walker....maybe some WD40 on the plunger that goes into the hydralic pump?

5. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried tightening it with more than just you hand? If not a wire or wire tie holding the valve completely closed.

6. mpm32

mpm32 LawnSite Member

I'll try the WD40 or maybe some silicone, if that doesn't work I'll try to rig something up with a wire tie. Thanks for the suggestions.