Scag Electric Clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sines of lawncare, Aug 10, 2005.

1. sines of lawncare

sines of lawncare LawnSite Member

Hey guys I need a hand, I need to find out some imfo on a Scag electric clutch. part # 461073 I have a '98 Scag Hydro 52" cut walk behind, when I engage the switch it kills the motor, turn the switch off and it will run I think I have traced it to the clutch however I know nothing about it, does anybody know anything or have you had a problem of the same sort? Also if it is the clutch does anybody have one for sale I have priced it 130.00 + s/h I think that is a little expensive ( maybe not ) this is the first problem I have had with machine Help If Ya Can.
    Thanks
    Rick

e-mail ricker4567@yahoo.com

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure there isn't a spindle or idler pulley locked up ?
    It's a little strange for a PTO clutch to kill the engine !
    I see now, You need to check your safety interlok switches it sounds like one of them is not working.
    And 130.00 sounds cheep for a new clutch also.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

130 cheap for a clutch, your spindles sound like there lock up.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

can you go turn the blades by hand? check the idler pulley as mentioned.

it could be the clutch, but not as likely as a bad spindle.

btw, that is a GREAT price on a clutch. where is that deal from?

5. sines of lawncare

tahnks for the imput guys, I just went out and made sure the pullies,idlers,spindles all turn I can turn them by hand as well everything spins I can start the machine when I hit the switch the blades turn for a few revolutions basically enough turns until the engine dies or I flip the switch back. I have searched some other pto posts I have some of the same glitches. it all began a month or so ago.... I was mowing an apt complex hit a few bumps and it acted aas tho I was running out of fuel I replaced fuel filter bew the dust off the machine and whamo it ran great.... for about a week then it started again it started acting like I was running out of fuel or maybe had a coil going out like I was not getting a good enough spark? as long as I kept the R's up it would go however not well. and now the machine runs awsome until I hit the pto switch. :help:

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Again check all safety switches and connections and even the PTO switch it's self, It sounds like your loosing spark when you flip the switch.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto that, maybe there is a loose wire grounding out the engine?

8. sines of lawncare

Hey resto i believe i have it tracked down to either the coil packs (?) little coil looking things on each sidde of the fly wheel ? or there is another wire going up underneath the flywheel I was told this creates the electric for the electric clutch since I do not have electric start I was also told it needs to be putting out at least 28 volts however the question is should that be acv or dcv on the meter I have it is puting out 40 acv and 18/19 dcv I am clueless does it show I have done everything that every body has tipped me to I even switched wiring harness from another scag, also from one of your other posts in helping in a simm. situation I unplugged the clutch and hit the switch and it died so thankfully it is not the clutch as every body mentioned hopefully this makes sence to you cause it makes none to me. I have noticed in the posts I have read you seeem to be very knowledgable hopefully with yours and every body elses help I can save a ton on a service bill.
    Thanks for your help
    Rick

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yes, kawi's are notoroious for coil troubles.

make sure the ground is good before you change it though.

10. sines of lawncare

Thanks guys for the help I am at witts end !!!!! Has anybody seen any scag hydros w/kawasaki engines for parts or a nice web site besides e-bay I have been searchig on e-bay for a week and of course there are none to be found !
    any ideas????? :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: