SCAG Engine Replacement/Swap

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by buzzard86, Apr 25, 2007.

1. buzzard86

buzzard86 LawnSite Member
    from Philly

Hi -
    This thread is a follow up to a post that I made earlier in the week. In the interim, I thought that I may have found a nice Encore mower, but it was sold before I could close the deal so I'm back to my original plan.

Quickly, I've got a Kawasaki FB460V on my current Ransome deck with a bad variable speed pulley (ie only one forward speed). I found a nice 48" Scag deck with a shot motor, on to which I would like to swap my motor. The blown motor on the Scag is a Kawasaki FC420V. I can get the Scag for $350. With that in mind, here are my questions:

1. Do you know of any reason why these engines would not be swappable?
    2. Is the difference in HP a problem? I believe that my engine is 12.5 and the blown engine was 14.0. No plans for a velke or anything... mower will be used residentially on <1 acre.
    3. The Scag has an electric blade engage. My ransome does not. I could not tell exactly where the wiring ran to beneath the chassis. Is the electic PTO powered off of the pulley somehow of does the engine need to have a source of electic?
    4. What do you think about the price? Deck looked solid with no apparently deformations, cracks, welds, etc. Spindles seemed tight. Guy selling it said that the gearbox works great. It's belt driven so there are no hydros to worry about.

My Ransome is quite old, so I don't have any of the fancy safety stuff that's on the Scag. I'd love to move up to the Scag and my current motor is strong, so I'm hoping that this is possible. Appreciate any and all info. I have to move in the Scag in the next day or two so I'm eagerly awaiting your comments. Thanks!

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

You would need to either add a charging system for an electric clutch to your engine if that is possible...or get a different engine for that scag.

I never really looked into whats involved but on those older singles to run a clutch without a battery they had a large capacitor and a voltage regulator outside of the engine along with the coil under the flywheel. You may need a new flywheel as well since yours may not have magnets under...

3. Motor-mo

Motor-mo LawnSite Member

Hi Buzzard, I am looking for the muffler off of your blown FC420V. Would you like to sell it? Ron @678-522-1012

4. buzzard86

from Philly

Bummer... I was afraid that the electric PTO might present a problem. Sounds like modifying my engine is more of a project than I'm willing to undertake right now.

Anybody know where I might be able to pick up a cheap engine that would fit a late '90s Scag? Harbor Freight maybe? I definitely can't afford $1000 for a Kohler. Don't need anything fancy, as this is just for residential use.

Thanks again, all.

PS - Motor-mo, if I do wind up getting this Scag I'll be happy to sell you the muffler. I'll touch base with you if it pans out.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

6. Motor-mo

Motor-mo LawnSite Member

Hi Buzzard, I am not looking to buy the Scag but one of my older machines has muffler issues. I am definately interested in the muffler. How much? Thanks, Ron in Atlanta

7. buzzard86

from Philly

Hey Ron -
    Sorry, but I don't own the Scag as of yet. Right now I've got a Ransome/BobCat. I had been thinking about buying the Scag and putting the engine from my Ransome on it. I've since discovered that I can't use the engine that's on the Ransome, so unless I can get the guy to go lower on the price for the Scag then I probably won't buy it. However, if the deal does go through, I'll be happy to touch base with you about the muffler.
    Take care-
    JIM

8. Motor-mo

Motor-mo LawnSite Member

Buzzard, sorry for my last post I did not read fully. Please let me know if you purchase. Thanks, Ron

9. buzzard86

from Philly

Hey gang -
    Update... I bought the Scag! The guy offered it to me for $300 and aside from the blown engine, it's in really nice shape. Couldn't resist the opportunity to upgrade. So that's where I need your help.

Can you tell me if there's any easy well to tell if my running Kawasaki has an alternator? I didn't think it did, but the guy from whom I bought the Scag had the same engine running on another Scag mower with an electric blade engage. Also, it looks like the good motor on my Ransome has some cut wires, as if somebody did away with the safety systems at some point.

Also, can anybody tell me what's involved with the engine swap on a Scag? I thought it was just a simply pulley swap, but the electric blade clutch seems a bit more elabroate than I'd expected. Can I just unbolt the pulley and leave it generally where it is and place the new shaft right into it?

Thanks, in advance. This is an awesome site. Hopefully, with your assistance, I'll be able to get through this engine swap and start mowing with my Scag. Yeah!
    Thanks.
    JIM

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you look on the white bar code label on the engine block and post the spec. number we may be able to tell.

As for the clutch, Older ones can be a pain to get off so start spraying some type penetrating oil on the crankshaft above the clutch so it will run down the key-way area to aid in removal.

You will probably need to remove the clutch from the shaft first so the engine is held in place for prying and taping the clutch off.