SCAG engine speeds up going downhill

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by arompies, Apr 27, 2014.

1. arompies

arompies LawnSite Member

I have a 52" SCAG WB Hydro. When going downhill it sounds like it is going to blow the motor. It revs up very high and when I go uphill it slows to a crawl.

Any ideas?

I checked the belts and they all appear in good condition. I haven't done anything else except drain gas and added fresh. One of my workers says it's the governor that regulates the power and it should be acting in the exact opposite way.

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Yee-ha! Enjoy the ride.

3. craftsmanracer

craftsmanracer LawnSite Member

Could you be low/overfilled on oil? Some governor systems depend on slinging oil around to operate effectively, and when you take away/give it too much oil it could act wonky on you.

How steep of hills we talkin here? Handicap ramp or mountainside?

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it's normal. my kawi engine does it too.

5. arompies

arompies LawnSite Member

It's not normal at all. Even the slightest grade changes the way the engine acts. Uphill slows down, downhill speeds up.

I'm not sure about the oil thing. I changed oil and filter with required amount.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it is normal.

is it the way an engine should act? no

but it's the crap they make nowdays.

nothing is faulty with the engine. that's how they do when you go up or down hills.

even on my ztr if you push the levers all the way forward transporting down the road or something the engine revs way up. you let off it takes a few secs to get back to normal engine speed. it has done this since it was brand new.

I have this steep hill I mow and the engine will almost stall out before I can make it to the very top. the farther up the hill I get the lower the engine revs.

if it's just a gradual hill it doesn't do it as bad.

I think it's some kind of safety thing with the gov they've put on the engines.

7. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Not normal. None of my WBs have ever done that. What year, model etc etc? Has it always done it or something new?

You'll get more help if you follow the guidelines for posting in this forum.

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I think you may have a governor out of adjustment.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

mine does it. it's not like overkill but it's noticeable the engine speed changes. it only does it every now and then. normal mowing it never happens. it's just on really steep hills or when going full stick which I never do while mowing.

kindof weird.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What happens when you disengage the clutch at full throttle?