SCAG engine speeds up going downhill

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by arompies, Apr 27, 2014.

1. arompies

arompies LawnSite Member

I have operated enough wb mowers to know this is far from normal. It will rev to the point that I'm honestly fearful it will explode.

From what i understand, the governors act in a way so as to regulate the power of the engine while going up and down inclines. The only thing is it seems to be operating exactly opposite from it's intended purpose: more power downhill, less power uphill.

The only corrective measures i have taken: oil and filter changed to kawasakis recommendations.

I don't have the model numbers of hand, but will get them shortly.

I haven't paid attention to the clutch question: what happens when i disengage the clutch at full bore. I'll have an answer later to that as well.

I have the exact same engine on both a gravely wb and a super surfer and they do not do it.

Model numbers and clutch answer to come
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

the blades just stop like they should. the engine doesn't change rpm or anything. at least I don't think so. I've never really noticed anything out of the norm.

I normally disengage the clutch at 3/4 throttle though and then drive to load it on the trailer while leaving it at 3/4 throttle until i'm loaded and then go down to idle for about 30secs before shutting the mower off.

mine never revs to the point of exploding so the OP's case may be more severe. mine will just rev up a bit sometimes but nothing too crazy.