1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag - Exmark- Ferris homeowner advice please

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by e15757, Mar 19, 2008.

1. e15757

e15757 LawnSite Member

I'm trying to line up a zero turn for the spring...I'm looking at used commercial machines and have found a couple that I think are pretty good deals...which is the better deal?

06' Scag Tiger cub 48/19 Kaw only 30 hrs! - $4700

05' Exmark HP 52/23 Kaw 480 hrs - $4700

02' Ferris IS1000 48/23 Kaw 220 hrs - $4000

No being a total nut I realize the Scag is basically a new machine, but I do like the idea of he 52" deck on the Exmark, and it seems the Ferris is actually a pretty nice value as well. What would you do?
  2. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

I would go with the Scags 100%. That is if the machine is very clean to show the hours are acurate on it. There will not be much mow time difference between the 48" and the 52" decks. I would not even consider the Ferris b/c the IS1000 is an old model. The IS1500 replaced it. The main reason is because of the hours. The Scags is just about a brand new machine with only 30 hours on it. It would take you about 8 years of mowing to put on over 400 hours like the Exmark already has (although I dont know how much land you are going to mow). I mow about 3.5 acres and I only put on 50 hours last year on mine. Both Scags and Exmark have good reputations by commercial mowers. But for me that would be a no brainer b/c of the hours. I almost bought a Tiger Cub but ended up spending more money for a full size unit that I really didnt need but like anyways.
  3. e15757

e15757 LawnSite Member

thanks for the feedback..one other clarification I need that may be causing self confusion. The main reason I liked the 52" was not to reduce mowing time but rather to be able to trim around trees, flower beds, etc. My assumption was that the deck would protrude further and make that job easier. I only have about 1.75 acres but it is litered ( in a good way) with trees and other obsticles.
  4. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I would take the Scag. The Exmark will probably be a better cut, but I would go with the almost new machine for the same money.
  5. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

For 1.75 acres, the Scags will work perfect for you. True you won't have as much trim with the 48" but it still won't be that big of difference. I have an Everride Warrior with the 54" deck which most Warriors have 60" decks. The wheels on my Warrior is just about even with the deck as would the Cub's smaller frame would probably be with the 48" deck. You will quickly learn how to steer the mower to make it do what you want it to do. I dont have much problems cutting all the way around obstacles with mine and it's larger than yours will be. Trim will mainly only help around the house that are bordered (mulch or rocks) so no trimming would be necessary. Trees in the field will aways have to be trimmed with a weeder to be perfect because no deck can get grass all the way up to the base of trees unless they are also all bordered. Sorry for the long posts.
  6. Cedar Valley Landscapes

Cedar Valley Landscapes LawnSite Member

I actually just sold an Exmark 52/23 kawi with the same hours for 4800 to guy in MI..small world. I have to say that was the best machine I have owned, and if I wasnt getting out of the business and didnt have a Exmark 72" to cut our 3.5 acres I would have kept it. I have always used Exmarks and love they way they cut and ease of use with them. Before I bought the 52"ztr I always used walkbehinds on my residentals and was more then happy when I found out I got get into all of the places I could with the walkbehinds. If you do decide to go with the Exmark I believe you will be more than happy with it. If you have any other questions on it feel free to ask.
  7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a Scag, and I'd go with it, but they're all good mowers that will last you a loooong time.
  8. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

id say go for the scag cuz it;s newer