1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag FAQ

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobby perez, May 23, 2004.

1. bobby perez

bobby perez LawnSite Member

Hi there i have a few questions for the gurus of grass and mower magi's.#1 Ihave a slow leak in one of the rear tires of a 48 W B. Are these tires tubeless and can i repair them with fix a flat.OrIf i use the green slime, How much should I use. Iam bad with numbers and the directions ask me to multiply this by that . Idont know what size the tires are , BUt they are bigger than the ones on the snapper. #2 THe deck is on the LOwest setting . If I raise it do I lhave to adjust everything else,like nuetral , forward and reverse ,blade belts, and clutch. Thank you,s for your wisdom and insights
  2. bobby perez

Well gentlemen any thoughts on this one I could really use the help.Also I just checked the deck height and its all the way up with no spacers between the blade and spindle, and the blade is about3 inches from the ground . Am I missing something ? thanks again for your input.
  3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Use slime in your tires, not sure how much, maybe a 1/4 of a 32oz bottle, run it and keep an eye on psi. Also make sure that you don't have a nail or something stuck in it, if so plug.

Refer to the manual or a dealer about raising the deck, I can't help on that one but I think spacers are used on the front spindles to raise and lower.
  4. if the hole is'nt in the sidewall ..get a 16 oz bottle of slime ..the kind that has pieces of rubber in it..think its called super slime lol..it will seal up to 1/4 inch hole.

You dont have to do nuthin to the drive belts clutch etc....to adjust the mower height....do you want to mow around 3 to 3 and half inchs high ? ...if so id set that deck up in the highest setting where the deck connects to where the pumps and motor are...it comes from the factory on the middle notch.Im assumeing its a fixed deck scag.

Then comes the fun part play around with the spacers under the blades underneath deck and The spacers on the caster wheels to get the height and deck pitch you want ...tire pressure can also come into play to get a good deck pitch .
  5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Regarding the tire, first thing I'd do is plug it. Be sure to use rubber cement when you put the plug in. If that doesn't work, THEN resort to the slime.

Can't help with the deck problem. Sorry.
  6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I agree with ******???? Haha. Anyway, plug the tire you can get self vulcanizing plugs that require no glue and work just fine. I have used them for years. The size of the tires are on the tire somewhere. But 16 ozs. of slime should be fine.

To raise the deck just requires to setting it where you want. You do not have to do anything with the gears or shifter. Just make sure that everything is level.
  7. bobby perez

Guys thanks alot . I put 12oz in ,of slime ,that should do it I hope.I believe that this model mower calls for a 16 inch tire. there is a 15 inch on it. Maybe thats why the blades are low even though the deck is on its highest setting, and thats with no spacers on the blades What do yous think.