1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag fixed deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tufguy100, Mar 18, 2008.

1. tufguy100

tufguy100 LawnSite Member

i had a scag given to me 48 deck walk behind with advantage deck it is fixed deck anyone have any ex with these it looks hard to change cut height it is a belt drive kaw motor
  2. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

takes 2 minutes with 2 15/16 wrenches to change cutting height---set it and forget it--
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I thought all Scag fixed deck used the conventional pin and shims?
  4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

they do i dont have to use any wrenches on mine????????
  5. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

You can change the caster height, but thats more temporary, it messes up the decks pitch. Take some spacer out on the blades, much better
  6. dutchman

dutchman LawnSite Member
    from CT

OK, I have my deck in the middle whole what do i do to get 3 3/8 Cutting height
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Here ya go.
    This is a manual for a hydro model which I have. The deck stuff is all the same.
    If you want some manuals for your gear drive, get them free from the Scag website. Tony

Attached Files:

8. dutchman

dutchman LawnSite Member
    from CT

Hi, thanks for the manual I have a hydro 48" and I have the manual also but it is not clear to me how may spacers I need above the blades and how many spacers I need for the wheels to get a 3 3/8 cut
  9. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

Some spacers are 1/4 " some are half " (I think thats what the new ones are)

Take your shoes off and use your fingers and toes to do the math. HA just busting ... A flat driveway or garage will work. Just mess with them until you get the height right. The shop I go to has a special measureing thing that looks like puddy on a piece of metal. You can do it with a soft shingle too. Just reach under the deck and push the soft shingle against the blade take it out and measure. Adjust repeat.
  10. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

Now deck pitch is a whole different thread.