scag float

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DuttonLandscape, Mar 16, 2008.

1. DuttonLandscape

DuttonLandscape LawnSite Member

My 14hp Scag hydro w/b is leaking gas from the exhaust pipe, when I pull the starter cord gas leaks out of the top of the exhaust. I can hear the gas moving around inside. I think maybe the float is stuck open. How do I go about either fixing or changing the float. Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You may as well clean the whole carb since you are going to be there, Shake the float in your fingers. If the float is bad you will feel fuel inside, My bet is trash under the float needle or a bad needle. Also change the oil because it has to have fuel in it with the muffler full.

Cleaning;

Take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports, passages and jets then blow it out with compressed air if available then re-assemble, Clean the fuel tank and flush/replace the fuel hose and install a new fuel filter.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You want to be very careful if you got gas in with the oil that needs to be drained. It is easy for a fire to start in the carb area. You might be lucky and it something in there that is stuck and you can clean it out. You might as well put a new kit in when you do it. I have had 3 Kohler units that leaked gas in the last year and I had to eventually replace the carb. They have a manuf process problem with the mexico carb ...unfortunately they don't have a seat that can be changed out. Good luck.

4. DuttonLandscape

DuttonLandscape LawnSite Member

a little more info-my mower has 2500hrs. and I thinks its getting tired, I've been thinking of a new engine, but don't know if its needed yet. Do you guys think I can get many more hrs. out of the old engine and carb and rusted muffler. Should I try a new carb. or should I spend the $750 on a new
    engine. I want to keep this machine around-nice and light and I use it on all my hilly and wet properties. Thanks

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Myself I would clean the carb and install a new float needle and try it, Less than 20 bux and milk it a little longer.....