Scag floating or fixed deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Dec 24, 2003.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I am looking for a 36 inch Hydro for residential use with a bull rider. I am most concerned about cut quality. Have any of you guys used both types of advantage decks [floating or fixed]. I would condsider a Exmark floater also but not the fixed deck Exmark as mine in a belt drive is cracking everywhere. So I am real interested in everyones opinion on these three mowers. I would think that a floating deck would cut consistently better since you dont have to monkey with blade height inside deck or change deck angle to adjust cutting height. I also cut fairly short compared to most. 1.5 to 2.75 inchs. Of second concern is which Hyro set up is better for zero turns without digging up shallow rooted turf[bentgrasses in shade] the Scag or Exmark? Your opinions are appreciated. Tom

2. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52 Toro w floating deck and a 52 Lesco w fixed deck.

used the Toro about 90% last year. Sometimes had to raise it

from 31/2 to 5". to cut wet grass. Very difficult with fixed deck.

Ed

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

4. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Since you mow so close, a full floating deck is the only way to go !

The Scag advantage deck is probably as strong of deck as you could find , and it certainly mows well !

There is a real interesting machine that Gravely is just now starting to show. They had it at the Louisville show, and we tried it out there.

It is a 34 inch zero turn rider, selling price about $3995. It has a 15 hp Kaw engine.
    The deck is full floating and it is 5.5 inches deep ! The deck appeared to be exceptionally well made [7 ga. with 10ga reinforce plate]
    This machine was very compact, and had a shorter footprint than a walk behind would have with either the sulky or a man standing behind would have. Also you can change its height of cut in about 30 seconds while still in the drivers seat. They made it 34 in wide so it could go through 36 inch gates [which a 36 in mower can't do !]