1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Freedom Z 52" or Hustler Fas-trak 54" ?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by roger1, Apr 4, 2007.

1. roger1

roger1 LawnSite Member

I would like to get a near-commercial ZTR mower for my 2 plus acres of mowing.

I've talked to 2 local dealers and have narrowed my search down to these 2 machines. Both service what they sell.

Which is the better machine? They are both priced about the same.
  2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

they are probably comparable machines. i am a hustler man, but i read mostly good things about scag. one thing that jumps out at me is that the hustler has a 4 yr warranty vs. 3 yrs with the scag. i do know that hustler maintains a strong presence on this board and they set a very high benchmark for responding to customer concerns.
    i have a mini-fasttrak and i am extremely satisfied with it. i recently bought a house with a 2 acre yard and i am seriously considering trading up to a FT 54". i am very impressed with the zt-28 motors they use for drive units. they have the same internal drive components as some of the hydro-gear seperate pump/motor units. i remember PJ saying that they felt that the combined units were the future in commercial mowers.
  3. roger1

roger1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Scag Freedom Z 52" with the 19 hp Kawasaki.
    Some of that leaning is that I like that the dealer here in San Angelo for the fact that they have been in business since 1957 and the original family still owns it.

Also, If I buy the Scag by Saturday, I can get a manufacturer discount that gets the price down to $5053. After that, his price goes up to $5,400.

The salesman claims it's better built than the Hustler Fas-Trak. (Of course you'd expect him to say that since he doesn't carry the Hustler.) But he is pretty convincing.

I am still waiting on a quote from another local dealer on the Fas-Trak 54" 21 hp Kawasaki. I think it is going to be a little higher than the Scag.

Also, I was told that the Fas-Trak does have a 4yr warranty but only 2yr on the motor. The Scag dealer told me that their 3yr warranty is complete.

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

a little checking reveals the following about the scag warranty:

**** Engine warranty is honored and handled through the individual engine manufacturer. See Limited Warranty Statement for details

this was cut and pasted directly from their website.--strike one against the scag dealer.

engines are usually warrantied by the manufacturer. i have read post where the hustler rep got directly involved with warranty issues regarding engines.

just exactly how does the scag dealer say that their mower is better built? all i see for scag warranty is the 3 yr basic warranty. hustler's basic warranty is 4 yrs and the frame and leading edge of the deck is lifetime.----

hustler also has an integrated brake built into the steering levers. this is a very convenient feature.

like i initially said, i think scags are good mowers. i just think that the hustler is better.
  5. roger1

roger1 LawnSite Member

I went ahead and got the Scag.

The decision really came down to the dealer. I don't even have to buy a trailer for it. He said as part of the deal he will deliver the mower. Do a pickup/deliver for any breakdown and a pickup/deliver for an annual tune up and preventive maintenance all for no extra charge.

Also, he told me that he would cover the entire machine for 3 years.

The Hustler dealer while nice and courteous people, were a much bigger dealer geared toward farm equipment could not give me that kind of service.

I do thank you for you input.

6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats, Roger! You'll like the Scag. From what I've seen, there are more Scag dealers in this area than Hustler. Scag has dealers in San Angelo, Big Spring, Midland, Odessa, etc. When I was shopping, I could only find a Hustler dealer in Hobbs, but they just signed a new dealer in Midland last month.

I just briefly looked at the Freedom Z, don't know much about it.

I like the fact that I can find so many Scag parts on Ebay and in the online stores.
  7. roger1

roger1 LawnSite Member

Just thought I would mention that I have 1 full season on my Scag Freedom Z52 with the Kaw and it has done really, really well. I love this machine.

I couple of things went wrong but they weren't the mower's fault. There are mesquite thorns on the back portion of my property that have caused some tire punctures. I've had to go with the green goop and it has worked pretty well.

I also caught some rebar in the blades a couple of times. The previous owner of the property used rebar to pin in the landscape timbers around the garden areas.
    Of course these come out and you find them with the mower.
    I bought new blades but haven't put them on yet. It still seems to cut just fine even with the rebar dulled blades.

The only thing the mower did wrong that surprised me is the battery terminals corroded. I just fixed this myself with a new terminal bolt. Now I'm thinking that I should remove the battery for the rest of the winter. I did my final mow 2 weeks ago.

And, btw, my dealer here in San Angelo has given me the service just as they said they would.
  8. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

You probably made the right choice given your situation. It really does depend more on your local dealer support as both of these machines are pretty similar.

That is odd that your battery terminal corroded. Did you ask the dealer about it? This should not happen on a new mower.