Scag Freedom Z- Briggs or Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greydog, Apr 23, 2008.

1. greydog

greydog LawnSite Member

For residential use. I mow 5 acres, generally flat. I'm looking at the Scag Freedom Z, 52" cut. Should I go with the 26 hp Briggs or 19 hp Kawasaki?

Thanks in advance.

2. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

The Briggs is a ELS (Intek) and not a high-quality Vanguard. Go with the Kawasaki. I think everyone on here will agree.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That will be the day (when everyone agrees here on Lawn Site). I feel the same though, I like the Kawasaki better but I usually go for more power. Hard choice. Dependability wise the Kawasaki would be my choice but would like more power.

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with briggs, especially for residential use. Although I do favor Kaw, id say go with briggs. Its a good engine that will last and you'll have plenty of power.

5. mjlepak

mjlepak LawnSite Member

Does the 19hp Kawasaki provide enough power/torque for the 52" cut? That would be my only concern.

6. greydog

greydog LawnSite Member

Let's see- one for Kawasaki, one for Briggs and one and a half- Briggs for power and Kawasaki for dependability.

So, I mow 5 acres- really makes no difference? Briggs or Kawasaki?

7. greydog

greydog LawnSite Member

Well, the Scag site (and the local dealer I have) have the 19 hp Kawasaki with the 52" cut.

The price difference is $500 more for the Kawasaki. The extra cash will not make my decision. I just want the best motor for my situation.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You are probably correct, though 19 hp can seem weak if the grass is very tall here anyway. You will probably not get a consensus on this forum. Everyone has an opinion. I think you can get by with less hp there though, especially only mowing 5 acres. Our grasses are much different here. I'm a big Scag fan but why limit yourself to the Freedom Z. Lot's of brands and models to choose from that will do well there.

9. ScagDaddy

ScagDaddy LawnSite Member

I have a Tiger Cub with the 24 HP Briggs and it has been a good mower. No problems yet. There were some earlier issues with the air filter cover getting warped and allowing unfiltered air into the engine, but mine hasn't done that. I believe B&S has fixed that problem.

10. greydog

greydog LawnSite Member

Good question. Talked to a family member who has a residential mowing business. He has an ExMark with a 28 hp Kawasaki, 52" cut. He told me my choice was almost like flipping a coin .

He did say that he would go with th 19 hp Kawasaki and a 48" cut beacuse of concerns with the 19 hp and 52 cut.

Anyway, given the fact I only mow 5 acres once a week, I will probably go with the 26 hp Briggs and 52" cut. Agreed?