Scag Freedom Z Opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by YukonG, May 22, 2007.

1. YukonG

YukonG LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of buying a Scag Freedom Z.
    Anyone here use one? I would really like some feedback on this machine.

And which engine would you guys get; the 19 Kaw or 26 B&S???

2. YukonG

YukonG LawnSite Member

My dealer has the Freedom Z with 48" deck and 19 Kaw for about $5100.
    Is that a good price?

3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Spend the extra 1,000 and get a tiger cub with the 26 hp briggs engine. You will thank me later. The freedom z is designed for the large property owner. Not a commercial mower.

4. YukonG

YukonG LawnSite Member

Any more opinions?

5. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't used the Freedom Z, just saw one in the show room. I have a Tiger Cub and would recommend that.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Junk:nono:

7. YukonG

YukonG LawnSite Member

The Scag Freedom is junk?
    What Z would you recommend in the $5000 range.

8. Ray Zorback

Ray Zorback LawnSite Member

I just bought a Freedom Z. I got the 52' deck with a 19HP Kawasaki. The dealer added headlights and threw in an extra set of blades for $5300. Here is my review from a different thread...

Well, the Scag dealer brought the Freedom Z to my place today. I am impressed. I mowed some 4" + grass in one of my fields down to 1" at full speed with no problem. I was trying to see if the 19HP Kaw. would bog down. I was also concerned about the blade tip speed of 17,000 fpm, because other brands range from 18,000 to 19,000. Not any more, it was like a hot knife thru butter. It also had a smoother ride than other brands I tried out. (Badboy ZT, CC Enforcer)

I am a homeowner with 4 acres so the Freedom Z fits what I needed. It is intended for homeowners with 4-5 acres or light entry level commercial. My next choice was a Hustler Mini Z 19Kaw. 52" deck for $6199. With the Hustler you get larger tires, commercial air cleaner, separate pumps & wheel motors for the extra money. As a homeowner I get a 3 year warranty with the Scag and only 2 on the Mini Z. I decided to save the extra money, and get the longer warranty.

Stay away from the 26 Briggs, the 19 Kawasaki has as much power and will last longer.

9. 69lt1bird

69lt1bird LawnSite Member

I compared the Freedom Z to the Hustler Fastrak and the difference was huge. The Scag is not built nearly as well and the warranty is half as long. Fit and finish, metal thickness, deck quality and the engine choices. I would pass on the Scag for this class mower. The Tiger Cub is a whole different class of mower, they are very good.

10. Ray Zorback

Ray Zorback LawnSite Member

I disagree. My opinion is the Freedom Z is built as well or better than the Fas Trak. For one, the Fas Trak has plastic pulleys, not the Scag. They both have the same ZT-2800 transaxles but the Scag adds charge pumps. The Scag also has larger wheels and ROPS. I never considered the Fas Trak. The Mini Z is a step ahead, more in line with the Tiger Cub.

And to set the record straight the homeowner warranties are: FasTrak 4yr, Freedom Z 3yr, Mini Z 2yr.