Scag Freedom Z vs. Hustler FasTrak

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slow2spool, Mar 29, 2007.

1. slow2spool

slow2spool LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner in the market for a near-commercial ZTR. I have narrowed it down to the following:

Scag Freedom Z :
    1. 52" w/ 19hp Kaw - $5499
    2. 52" w/ 26hp B&G ELS - $5199

or

Hustler FasTrak:
    1. 54" w/ 21hp Kaw - $5100
    2. 54" w/ 20hp Honda - $5200

Right now I'm leaning toward the Hustler with the Honda.

Does anyone have any opinion on the Scag with the 26 B&G vs. 19 Kaw?
    21 Kaw vs. 20 Honda?

I have about an acre. I know it's overkill, but in the not too distant future I most likely will be caring for my parents' and my in-laws' yards as they are getting up there in years.

I plan on making a decision in the next day or so and I would greatly appreciate the advice of the pros here. I know this site caters to the pros, but that's where the experience can be found.

Thanks for any help you can provide

2. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I would probably go with the Hustler, but the SCAG Freedom Z is probably a very good mower. I would also go with the Kawi instead of the Honda. I have had nothing but awsome results with the Kawi engine. Does your dealer carry both mowers? If you can, go demo both and then decide.

3. slow2spool

Thanks.

I have a couple of options for Hustler dealers. Both have said that they can get both and are happy to get the Kawi if that's my choice. Although they both like the Honda. They say they have not had any Honda motor problems that are notable. The same with the mower as a whole.

4. roger1

roger1 LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat as you and just posted a similar question before I saw this posting. I'm looking at the same 2 models as you are.

My dealer said that the Scag was a residential model. Is it really a near-commercial?

Roger

5. vogler.r

vogler.r LawnSite Member

Slow2spool,
    Depending on the amount of land you need to mow. I would add Exmark to your short list. Something like a Lazer ZHP with 23HP Kawasaki or a 52" Exmark Walk behind. www.Exmark.com These are the best mowers

6. slow2spool

Thanks for the reply.

I currently have a little over 3/4's of an acre. I have settled on the FasTrak 52" model. So this is probably overkill. However, I want a mower that will last and will get my grass done quickly. I travel alot and when I'm home, I don't want to spend half a day cutting grass. Currently with an Ariens 21" it takes 1.5-1.75 hours to cut, if it's done right. Longer if you need to bag.

I'm getting the Hustler for $4700. $5300 if I take the Bag-Vac for it which I think I'm going to do. The bagger probably wouldn't hold up for commercial, but will be fine for my needs.

I was going to go with the FasTrak 54", but my shed door is 64" wide and the overall width of the FS 54 is 61+". If it was just me, that wouldn't be a problem, but the missus and my kids will be doing the cutting as well. I don't have enought faith they will successfully shoot the gap. In addition, the bag-vac for the 54" was $1299, I believe. It would be a fine commercial bag-vac.

I did like the Scag Freedom Z, but it just came down to the deal. The Freedom Z with a 19hp Kaw was $5499, if I remember correctly. If they would have been priced the same it would have been a flip of the coin. I liked them both.

I did look at the Exmarks, but Scag and the Huslter were better deals from the area dealers. I was also intrigued by the Bad Boy mowers, but didn't have a dealer nearby as they are still developing their dealer network. The closest dealer was a first year dealer and that concerned me a bit. They are well built and have great features though.

Thanks for your input.

7. slow2spool

Roger:

It looks to me like the Freedom Z is "near-commercial", whatever that is. The main difference from what I was looking at, Freedom Z & FasTrak, was the integrated drive/pumps. The "commercial" units seem to have the pump(s) separate from the drives.

The only thing with the Scag FZ that I was concerned with was the B&G motor. If I would have went with the Scag, it would have had the Kaw 19hp motor. I think in the long run, it was a better motor. I had more than one dealer tell me it had more torque than the B&G, and in this business, torque it the name of the game.

If you're a home owner like me, I don't think you could go wrong with the Freedom Z or the FasTrak.

I am getting the FasTrak 52". It was going to be delivered today, but I delayed it since Mother Nature saw fit to give us a belated April Fool's joke. We have over 6" of snow and it's still snowing. Forecast says it will snow off and on through next week! Lake Effect snow! You gotta love it!

Good Luck,

Mike

8. roger1

roger1 LawnSite Member

I went ahead and got the Scag with the Kaw.

The decision really came down to the dealer. I don't even have to buy a trailer for it. He said as part of the deal he will deliver the mower. Do a pickup/deliver for any breakdown and a pickup/deliver for an annual tune up and preventive maintenance all for no extra charge.

Also, he told me that he would cover the entire machine for 3 years.

The Hustler dealer while nice and courteous people, were a much bigger dealer geared toward farm equipment could not give me that kind of service.

I do thank you for your input.

Roger

9. duzzi

duzzi LawnSite Member

The Scag would be my choice, Much better mower, better quality as well.

10. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

So why is the Scag better??